Nissan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the proud owner of my dream car - the 1995 300zx. Now with a car that old, I'm bound to have a few minor repairs that I need to get done, and I was hoping to get the experts advice. Here are the current issues, and any help/adivce would be appreciated:

1. Steering wheel vibrates during hard braking - I suspect this means the rotors need to be resurfaced, and the dealer is quoting me $180.
2. The windshiled washing liquid is leaking - is this better to let the dealer fix or is it a fairly easy fix?
3. The car shudders at about 40/45 mph - not sure what this could be.
4. The gas pedal sticks when the car is first started - easy fix?
5. The rubber along the windows and roof has started to fade - I've found the following set of moldings (http://www.kurumaz.com/300zx/21.html) - is this reasonably priced and easy to install?
6. The antenna continues to make a loud buzzing sound even though the antenna is all the way up - again, an easy fix or leave it to the dealer?

Any help will be appreciated...

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Try to stay away from the dealerships as much as you can. They tend to charge at least double what a regular garage would. Everything that you mentioned is well within the capabilities of a regular garage, heck, a backyard mechanic for that matter.

·
Registered
85 Posts
95DreamZ said:
I'm the proud owner of my dream car - the 1995 300zx. Now with a car that old, I'm bound to have a few minor repairs that I need to get done, and I was hoping to get the experts advice. Here are the current issues, and any help/adivce would be appreciated:

1. Steering wheel vibrates during hard braking - I suspect this means the rotors need to be resurfaced, and the dealer is quoting me $180.
2. The windshiled washing liquid is leaking - is this better to let the dealer fix or is it a fairly easy fix?
5. The rubber along the windows and roof has started to fade - I've found the following set of moldings (http://www.kurumaz.com/300zx/21.html) - is this reasonably priced and easy to install?
6. The antenna continues to make a loud buzzing sound even though the antenna is all the way up - again, an easy fix or leave it to the dealer?

Any help will be appreciated...
My advise is to get new rotors, I have never been able to get rid of warpage by resurfacing.

The leaking water bottle, just race the leak to where it is occuring. If the bottle is cracked then just replace it, but odds are it is cracked hose they can become hard and brittle over the years.

Shuddering? I havent had much problem in this area. My advise is to check the fuel filter and plugs first then if that dosent help look at the air flow meter. When these go bad shuddering is usually involved.

The sticking gas pedal could be a lack of lubrication on the pedal assembly or the throttle cable might need to be replaced or could be too tight.

Moldings...i have no idea about replacing those. Mine are doing the same thing on my 95 Z.

As for the antenna. Does it go down? If it does not then the plastic part that goes up into the antenna might be broken and thus the motor keeps spinning.

How many miles are on your 95? This seems like alot of problems for a 95. I bought mine about 8 months ago and havent had really any problems except some oil leaks and the starter.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
mpw991 said:
Shuddering? I havent had much problem in this area. My advise is to check the fuel filter and plugs first then if that dosent help look at the air flow meter. When these go bad shuddering is usually involved.
Could be the alignment, could be the driveshaft, or the tires may need balancing as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
Could be the alignment, could be the driveshaft, or the tires may need balancing as well.
Where is the shuddering occuring? Is it in the ride of the car or is it felt in the throttle durring accleration? Tha might help us a little more. Also is this an auto or manual tranny, just curious?

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts

Either resurface them or get newer rotor. If your going to resurface them take them to any shop (Pepe Boy etc.) that can do them but a dealership charges way to much.

Where is it leaking from?

Do a DIY diagnostic on your Z do you know how to pull codes off?

Make sure the throttle cable is not pinched or rubbing against the sleeves in the front of the plenum.

A great product I have them on my car!

You can buy the mast (~$30) at a dealership and with someone helping you it's a pcs of cake to replace.

If you have any questions ask away? And congrates on your Z :cheers:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car has 112k miles on it - but is in very good condition. I considered all those minor problems - the engine is strong and that's what counts - after all it's a 10 year old car. The antenna goes up and down, but when it goes up, the motor seems to think it still has to go farther up. The shuddering is very slight - only an anal retentive person like me would feel it - but I think I'll get the plugs checked out. Any recommendation on the plugs? I guess the next major serivce is at 120k right? Is it the usual - coolant, transmission, oil/filter?

The leak I think I'll be able to trace myself, but the pedal may be another story. :thumbup: If it's just lubrication beneath the pedal, I think I can do that. But I have no idea where the throttle cable is.

mpw991 said:
My advise is to get new rotors, I have never been able to get rid of warpage by resurfacing.

The leaking water bottle, just race the leak to where it is occuring. If the bottle is cracked then just replace it, but odds are it is cracked hose they can become hard and brittle over the years.

The sticking gas pedal could be a lack of lubrication on the pedal assembly or the throttle cable might need to be replaced or could be too tight.

Moldings...i have no idea about replacing those. Mine are doing the same thing on my 95 Z.

As for the antenna. Does it go down? If it does not then the plastic part that goes up into the antenna might be broken and thus the motor keeps spinning.

How many miles are on your 95? This seems like alot of problems for a 95. I bought mine about 8 months ago and havent had really any problems except some oil leaks and the starter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1. If I'm considering buying new ones, where do you suggest buying them from and getting them installed?

2. I see the fluid on the floor of my garage - so it would seem to be coming from the canister. Would you agree? Someone was suggesting checking 2 plastic pieces right under the hood?

3. I'm not sure how to pull codes off the car...

4. No idea how to do this -Make sure the throttle cable is not pinched or rubbing against the sleeves in the front of the plenum

5. Do the moldings include the metal strip as well? How difficult to install?

6. The mast goes up and down - but the motor seems to keep trying to take the mast even farther up. This leads me to believe the motor is bad...

Thanks for your help!

Spongerider said:

Either resurface them or get newer rotor. If your going to resurface them take them to any shop (Pepe Boy etc.) that can do them but a dealership charges way to much.

Where is it leaking from?

Do a DIY diagnostic on your Z do you know how to pull codes off?

Make sure the throttle cable is not pinched or rubbing against the sleeves in the front of the plenum.

A great product I have them on my car!

You can buy the mast (~$30) at a dealership and with someone helping you it's a pcs of cake to replace.

If you have any questions ask away? And congrates on your Z :cheers:

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
1. If I'm considering buying new ones, where do you suggest buying them from and getting them installed?

Price around you should find some really good prices.

2. I see the fluid on the floor of my garage - so it would seem to be coming from the canister. Would you agree? Someone was suggesting checking 2 plastic pieces right under the hood?

Canister? Is it on the drivers side or pass?

Clean everything up and and start freash. After everything is clean start the car til it's warm

3. I'm not sure how to pull codes off the car...

diagnostic

4. No idea how to do this -Make sure the throttle cable is not pinched or rubbing against the sleeves in the front of the plenum.

It's near the yellow dot in the upper right side of the pic.
(Pic from TTZD.com)

5. Do the moldings include the metal strip as well? How difficult to install?

Yes, it well take about 30 minutes and comes with good instruction.

6. The mast goes up and down - but the motor seems to keep trying to take the mast even farther up. This leads me to believe the motor is bad...

The teeth on the mast is broken and why the motor keeps working.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
120k major service?

My Z is approaching 120k miles and I was wondering what the recommendation is in terms of service at that mileage. I don't have an instructions manual and I bought the car with 112k on it - so the last major service.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
95DreamZ said:
My Z is approaching 120k miles and I was wondering what the recommendation is in terms of service at that mileage. I don't have an instructions manual and I bought the car with 112k on it - so the last major service.

Thanks!
The major thing is going to be the timing belt. It is recommended to replace every 60K. Since the Z has an interference engine a broken timing belt could equal bent valves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts