Nissan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car would not start, very noisy. Took off valve cover to find the teeth on the top two sprockets for the timing chain are completely worn and when you try to start the chain goes nowhere, the sprockets just spin. How hard is it to replace these parts??

· Registered
53 Posts
That's a pricey job. I had mine professionally done, and there is a special timing gear that is needed. If that gear is gone (like mine was), it totaled $1,200 CAD for the full job. Chains, gears, and shop time. I wanted some kind of assurance when I got that done.. you sure don't want your engine to blow on you or have your valves get smashed.

I'm glad I did it though. The mechanic I saw said now the engine should outlast the frame and chassis. Lucky for me, both are in great condition. :)

· Registered
505 Posts
That's a pricey job. I had mine professionally done, and there is a special timing gear that is needed. If that gear is gone (like mine was), it totaled $1,200 CAD for the full job. Chains, gears, and shop time. I wanted some kind of assurance when I got that done.. you sure don't want your engine to blow on you or have your valves get smashed.

I'm glad I did it though. The mechanic I saw said now the engine should outlast the frame and chassis. Lucky for me, both are in great condition. :)
He's wrong. IF you do it yourself, it's cheap. These shops charge alot of labor to do jobs like this. Get the kit at autozone or advance and get a walkthrough if you don't want to spend $$ like this. Think the kit is around $100

· Registered
53 Posts
That's straight up, "IF" you know how to do it. I'd rather have the warranty than let it mess up.... whether it be in the next mile or 5000. Your choice, but at least I know my frame will fall apart compared to my engine now. Guaranteed. Guarantee comes with a price, but I'm still glad I did it. Pricey, but better than the latter.

However, if you're mechanically inclined, probably isn't a hard job per se. Usually it just means lining up your markers. Just be warned, a tooth off, and that could be your engine.

Just my opinion.

· Registered
53 Posts
Keep in mind as well, I bought my kit on Ebay, and that didn't include the special gear, which would've cost $500 from Nissan. I lucked out and had mine cost less than $100. Just for the sprocket, mind you. Most (if not, all) ebay kits don't include this sprocket.

· Registered
505 Posts
That's straight up, "IF" you know how to do it. I'd rather have the warranty than let it mess up.... whether it be in the next mile or 5000. Your choice, but at least I know my frame will fall apart compared to my engine now. Guaranteed. Guarantee comes with a price, but I'm still glad I did it. Pricey, but better than the latter.

However, if you're mechanically inclined, probably isn't a hard job per se. Usually it just means lining up your markers. Just be warned, a tooth off, and that could be your engine.

Just my opinion.

Who warranties a 95 anyway? I'm not sure of any 95 (other than honda) that worth much more than $1200 as this is the price you can buy a whole 200sx for. I only paid $1000 for my sentra.

· How far can I take it?
421 Posts
hey guys, need some info. I just found out that I had a tooth missing on each sprocket and about 3 or 4 on the idler sprocket. how will this affect the engine?
The chain did not jump as I check that out as soon as I saw that teeth were missing. And the tesioner was recently replaced. I do have problems with MPGs and my suspect is the timing as I cant get it to set out right

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.