Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently tracking down an electrical issue and happened to notice that the previous owner had jammed a 30A fuse into the fusible link slot for 1 of the radiator fan FL's. It wasn't until after getting a new fusible link that I saw that there was a male terminal missing on the fusible link block.

I got my multimeter out and it turns out that the fuse that was jammed in there wasn't even connecting to anything on the other end, it simply wasn't long enough to make contact. I see that in the other FL box, there is 1 unused slot that has the right size male connector, I was unable to figure out how to extract the connector though. The circuit diagram I have only shows a single fusible link connected to the radiator fan. But clearly there are 2 FL's in this box, 1 is currently connected, the other disconnected.

Here you can see the top radiator fan fusible link missing a connector as well as the cover for reference.

(LEFT)A close up of the missing connector (RIGHT) The unused FL box male connector

My questions are:
  1. Does anyone know whether these 2 Radiator Fan FL's are redundant or whether they serve unique functions? 1 FL per fan?
  2. Does anyone know how to extract the un-used male connector?
  3. Does anyone have any other recommended work-around?
I know that things have been this way for quite some time (2 years). Since my circuit diagram only shows 1 FL and vaguely labels it FL 25, I'm unsure what the consequences of missing this FL may be but would like to find out since we are having unusually hot weather. Any advice is welcome, thanks for reading.

·
Registered
430 Posts
keep asking for someone with your same car that might have already dealt with that, but beyond that you're going to have to read the wiring diagrams to findout if the two are redundant.

as for extracting the male link, you'd have to play with it... usually those FL's are not able to move because of the expanse of wires coming from either direction not giving you enough slack to see the bottom of it.

i'm thinking a hardwire w/ and inline fuse might be better...
just pull the wire that's attached and hardwire to the other wire w/ a 30amp inline fuse.

it'd be pretty much the same setup, albeit, not factory plastic pretty.

but that requires some wiring diagram reading too to make sure you do it right.

·
Registered
430 Posts
if they aren't redundant, the reason i say a hardwire w/ inline fuse is better, is because of the way you'd have to move the male link.

it's probably connect via a screw on the bottom... hard to get to.
and you'd have to make sure it's good when you put it in the other slot.

whatever way you do it.. as long as there's a continous wire w/ a fuse.. you're good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a little more research and also contacted Haynes research who responded with a few more wiring diagrams for the 200sx. The wiring diagrams they provided me show only a single fusible link connected to the cooling fan relay, the 2 cooling fans are connected in parallel to the relay. The FL is vaguely labeled E, but if you count down, starting from A on the FL cover, the last RAD FAN FL is E.

I observed yesterday that when the car reached operating temperature that the fans engaged and also verified that the fans engaged when turning the AC on. My theory is that the 2nd pin is purposefully missing on this FL connector because it is unused, the previous owner saw this, assumed it was broken and tried jumping it with a fuse. This also explains why the unused/unlabeled FL connectors are also missing the 2nd terminal... from trying to extract these terminals I find it very unlikely that the terminals were broken off due to neglect as there would at least be a base piece left over in the hole.

At this point I am guessing that some Nissan vehicles have more than 2 electric fans and that Nissan uses 1 FL per pair to avoid a single point of failure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, quite amusing. Thanks for the responses, I was getting ready to hardwire a fuse in, I'm glad that it doesn't seem necessary now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts