Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I have done a search, no results..................

Ok I have a 94 Sentra XE and want to put a gauge cluster in that has a tach, I have the gauge cluster that i want to put in but i dont know how the wiring goes.

The plugs off the new gauges look the same as my old ones and my plugs in the car fit into the new cluster, but it is not right.

When i compare the plugs yes they are the same but the wires are in different parts of the plug.

Has anyone done this swap? i have found instructions on how to do it but not for my specific year, i do not have a speedo cable mine is electronic. so the instructions i have are pretty much useless.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanx
Damen

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i've done a cluster swap from my '91 XE to a GXE cluster...

I used the Haynes car repair book to rewire things around. The sockets are the same for both clusters, but the various wires aren't.

As for the digital vs. analog instruments, I have no clue if you can simply plug the signal wire in both types.. I would not think so, but hey, maybe Nissan ECUs can handle those!

You can also figure out many of the new wire locations. If you compare where all the connections end up on the old and new clusters, you can start replugging..

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i have seen that too but it does not tell me where to put my wires in the plugs to get my new gauges to work.

i need like a wiring diagram or someting. haynes and chiltons does not help

i need the specific diagram that shows me where in the plug to put my wires and where to get the tach wire from in the car

like where do i "tap" into to get the tach reading

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
i breifly wanted to do such a swap but dont' want to sacrifice my accurate mileage numbers.

knowing how many miles are on my car is a good thing. i don't want it to lie and say its higher, or even lower then it actually is.

if you could swap that part out to the donor clustor, then i might reconsider......

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
You can roll the milage on the cluster by hand, but it takes a while... a long while.

·
340 Posts
samo said:
You can roll the milage on the cluster by hand, but it takes a while... a long while.

lol

well then maybe i'll buy one, when ever i'm bored i'll start rolling it back, and eventually as i put more miles on my current one the two will meet and i can swap.

of couse i'm assuming i'd actually find one with more miles on it then my 145k. if the new one had less, then that methiod would get me nowher as usually put about 500 miles a week on my car. that would be a lot of turning.

·
Registered
136 Posts
To make sure you have the correct mileage is really pretty simple. When I did my swap I opened up both clusters and removed the speedos and put my original speedo in the new cluster and closed up back up. The speedo is held in with a couple of screws.

·
340 Posts
thats the answer i was looking for! i'm assuming you mean odometer, not speedo.

now your getting me excited about a guage swap again. but all that friggen work to take the dash apart........lol

·
Registered
339 Posts
odometer

Milleage? why dont you guys just pull out the odometer pin holding the numbers out and roll the numbers by hand?

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I've heard they have a tamper indicator, so it's apparently not that simple Serg.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
JHC! Who writes these things? I mean, my god, if you're going to do a write-up why wouldn't you do it right? This is worse than the Tsuru write up, which tells you that it's going to inform you as to what wires go where, but then, when you keep reading, what do you know? There's no info on the wiring, the whole purpose of the write up in my opinion. Any dipstick can figure out how to take out their headlights or their instrument cluster, it's figuring out the wiring that's important. As for this particular cluster swap write up, here's a synopsis for you: "Blah blah blah, bunch of worthless information, then, need to know the important stuff like what wires go where? Well here ya go, go buy a wiring diagram. Okay well, here's a pic of one wiring diagram, but not of the one that represents the one thats in your car."

WTF?! Let's see, a person needs two wiring diagrams, one that represents their cluster wiring and one that represents the wiring for the cluster their putting in. So that you can make sure the right wires go where. I wouldn't trust it to chance, that just matching up colors is necessarily going to work. It might but I'm not willing to take that chance myself.

i need the specific diagram that shows me where in the plug to put my wires
Exactly, and that write-up is worthless in that regard. I apologize Damen 78, but I don't have a scanner to scan you the proper pages from my FSM, and it would take a decent amount of time for me to read through the wiring diagrams and tell you exactly what wire from your existing wiring goes where on the new cluster. Time that I can't afford to spend right now.

I'm sorry for going off like this, but I am sick of shitty write ups on this stuff. Doesn't anyone proofread this crap before it get's archived in the magazine? It might as well not even be there, as worthless as it is. I'd gladly do a proper write-up on it but I really don't have time. If I was doing the swap myself, yes, I'd make time to do it since I'd need the info myself to do the swap.

1,267 Posts
You have to realize that was written back in 1999, in the infancy of SOLM, there wasn't any other information at the time, so of course it's not going to be as good as one written now. Hell I don't think we even had the forums at that time, we switched to b15sentra.net's forums shortly after so this guy had to do everything on his own, with nobody to ask questions of.

·
Registered
339 Posts
toolapcfan said:
JHC! Who writes these things? I mean, my god, if you're going to do a write-up why wouldn't you do it right? This is worse than the Tsuru write up, which tells you that it's going to inform you as to what wires go where, but then, when you keep reading, what do you know? There's no info on the wiring, the whole purpose of the write up in my opinion. Any dipstick can figure out how to take out their headlights or their instrument cluster, it's figuring out the wiring that's important. As for this particular cluster swap write up, here's a synopsis for you: "Blah blah blah, bunch of worthless information, then need to know the imoprtant stuff like what wires go where? Well here ya go, go buy a wiring diagram. Okay well, here's a pic of one wiring diagram, but not of the one that represents the one thats in your car."
Yep. thats why i put this link: http://www.geocities.com/jsaxophone2000/ The Doc. in that page shows a detailed diagram where to put the cables and where the cable was in the TACH / NO TACH diagram.... and as far as i know this page was made by "1997 GA16DE" one of the users of this forum also... here's the link:
1997 GA16DE

I think that the info he has on the site it's right and very detailed.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
It sounds like common sense to me, but, do you know how many people don't wire it like 1997 GA16DE did? They do a bunch of extra work soldering, splicing wires, or half assed with wire nuts and electrical tape (don't even get me started on the use of electrical tape, it's as bad as duct tape) when it's super easy to do like he did. I've yet to see a wire harness that doesn't come apart and Nissan makes it even easier than most. Even in the worst cases, using the same method, of depressing platic tabs or metal pins, you can back a wire and its terminal out of a harness socket. Swap your OEM, uncut wires into the right spots on the harnesses and connect and you're done. You'd still want to check to make sure the wiring is right, '97's could easily be different than '91-'94's. Having browsed my FSM wiring diagrams quite a bit, I can tell you that if a person has the wiring with their new cluster, merely swapping your wires from your harnesses into the right spots on the new harness, doing like 1997GA16DE did, everything will work perfect. Unless the cluster you bought to put in the car was of a different year, then you'd have to check wiring diagrams to be sure.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
See I agree with tool........I have looked at every link every website and every picture i can find on this forum and any other sentra based forum even went to the damn nissan dealer here in
Tucson and still nothing.

Serg I really appreciate your help but i have seen the website and the pictures on how to remove the pins and his drawing of the cluster with what wire goes where and the colors but there is one problem our sentras are different years and his wires are not the same color as mine.

See that is where i messed up real bad cause i printed his drawing (as detailed as it was) and it was really good. but i printed it out and went out to my baby and started the project friday afternoon. i took out the cluster and started removing the pins and wires from the plugs only to realize half way through that my wire colors were not matching up.

So here i am...........12 wires just hangin and no idea where th F*** they go.

Basically here is what i do have workin Gauge lights, Turn Signals, and the clock thats it. so i am stuck right now untill i hear back from a couple guys on this forum that are here in tucson.

I appreciate any and all help from you guys on here. I just wish i could find exactly what i am looking for and i cant so i am a little frustrated.

but thankyou guys

Greg

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
So Greg, you don't have the wire harnesses with the new cluster to compare to, or is the cluster from a different year sentra? I sent you a pm and an e-mail about this. Let me know. I can probably figure the rest out, but I need to know. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts