Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just found this web site. Looks good. I have a feeling that I will be spending time here reading in the future. But right now I have an issue that is somewhat of an emergency.

1994 Nissan Sentra (US model)
GA16DE
4-dr sedan, a/c, automatic

Car is not mine - is my dearest friend's. Car won't start. Turn key and I don't hear anything except for a relay at the inside fuse box. It clicks but that's it. I decided to go yesterday and attempt to jump the solenoid to attempt preliminary troubleshooting and also to move the vehicle to my house so I could work on it. Car was not in a good location for repair and someone stole the cat converter while it sat there on top of everything else(!!!)

I unbolted, disconnected, removed air filter box and the piece that is on each end so that I could get to the starter. Due to bad lighting I still could not see it. I was getting pretty stressed out, lol. I was just about to try crawling under the vehicle and got a wild hair and turned the key one more time. The Sentra started right up.

Hmm...

Put things back together more or less, drove to my house - a very interesting experience with the exhaust cut off where the cat should be, btw - and drove it up onto ramps.

Looking for advice, tips, etc. Problem is, I do not know what made vehicle start. I was hoping that I would do something concrete (such as jumping solenoid) and it would THEN start, telling me either what part is bad or at least allowing me to narrow possibilities considerably. Just taking the airbox off, feeling around under the intake hoping to find the starter (lmao) and turning the key... that tells me nothing.

"I have a DVOM and I know how to use it." lol. Also a few tools and a willingness to bleed profusely. Just lack the benefit of having owned a Nissan and thus having learned things about it.

In short, I am asking for help from those who have been there.

Thanks very much in advance!

·
Registered
734 Posts
sound like a bad/loose connection some where.
did you take the battery cables off?

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
Do the dash lights go Dim or out ? Try it with the head lamps on, if they go dim
clean connections as suggested above,
you will have to wait till it wont start before trying next part.
when it wont start measure the battery voltage before ( should be 12.5 to 13.2 Volts) and when key is turned to start position. If voltage dips very low but doesn't turn over then it could be battery is flat or bad. ( contact at battery terminals are Ok from above)
If its Ok then try taping the starter with a tool or hammer on the body of the starter. If it starts right up the starter is bad.
you will have to wait till it wont start before this.

If its starting measure the voltages as suggested, they might help diagnosis later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pulled "INHIBIT / CLUTCH" relay located in the relay box towards the front of the engine compartment. With it removed, when I turn the key I get the same affect as the vehicle was exhibiting before I started messing with it - turn the key and everything lights up but the only other thing that happens is that the relays under the dash to the right of the fuse panel click...

I assume that I have found the "Inhibitor Relay" mentioned in the wiring diagrams in the Haynes and factory service manual?

So this leads me to guess that either there is a bad connection going to/from that relay, or perhaps the mysterious "Inhibitor Switch" pictured in Haynes is bad or has a bad connection. Or maybe it's the solenoid. Who knows.

I hate wiring/electrical stuff!:mad:

Still looking - still open to suggestions.

TIA

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re :1994 Sentra No Start

Don't know if you tried this but it has worked for me in evaluating starter problems in the past.

Turn on the headlights

Turn the key with the headlights on if you get a relay click and and no dimming of the headlights your connection from the battery to the relay is ok.

Have someone else turn the key and while the key is turned give the
starting motor a good whack. If it turns over then you may have a bad connection in the starter. In many cases on an older car the brushes have
worn or you may have a flat spot on the commutator. I even had one
case where Ford had soldered massive connections and they only
got solder on 1/4 of the connection and it eventually failed.

The whack method also works with other connections (starting relay etc.)
With all of these whacks try to use something insulated so you don't end up
welding the car together and blowing up the battery.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
Pulled "INHIBIT / CLUTCH" relay located in the relay box towards the front of the engine compartment. With it removed, when I turn the key I get the same affect as the vehicle was exhibiting before I started messing with it - turn the key and everything lights up but the only other thing that happens is that the relays under the dash to the right of the fuse panel click...

I assume that I have found the "Inhibitor Relay" mentioned in the wiring diagrams in the Haynes and factory service manual?

So this leads me to guess that either there is a bad connection going to/from that relay, or perhaps the mysterious "Inhibitor Switch" pictured in Haynes is bad or has a bad connection. Or maybe it's the solenoid. Who knows.

I hate wiring/electrical stuff!:mad:

Still looking - still open to suggestions.

TIA
Check the inhibitor/ clutch switch on the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
147 Posts
if it is the starter i have one ill sell your buddy, PM me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts