Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I raced a 2k altima the other night with my 94 sentra. all i have is a hs cai and a 2.5 cat-bac exhaust and ima a auto. Altima is stock but itz a 5spd. My boy flags us down and suprisigly i get the jump on him by a bumper. When he catches traction were dead even though first gear when i hit 2nd(manually shitfting) he starts to pull on me real slow then when i hit 60mph and shit to 3rd hes pulls car and half on me so we stop. For a auto sentra i think i did preety well. Now they have a 5spd sentra for me stock you think ill win?latez all.;)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
NOT too bad at all... hmmmm I wonder how much the HS CAI had to do with it...

OH and Ive been working on my manual shifting-How do u like it??

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Itz great

Ye the cai had alot to do with it u just get a surge from about 20mph to 40mph oh i forgot my timing is advanced 2. Manual shifting rules bro. Might be a bit slower but fooling people into thinkin my cars stick is priceless.:D

S

·
0 Posts
I like to manually shift my auto too. That way the engine can rev up higher before uoshifting. If feels a lot quicker than when I let the auto tranny shift on its own. Makes me wish for a manual though...

·
Registered
672 Posts
wouldnt manually shfting your auto mess up the tranny if u over do it? i mean, thast why we have autos, tiptronics, and manuals.....if autos can shift like that, why bother with the premium price of tip tronics?

S

·
0 Posts
Tiptronics would have more gears I guess. I wouldnt buy one though. As far as hurting the tranny, I don't see why it would. I've manually shifted my tranny for a while and no problems yet. 112000 miles and still runs strong.

·
Registered
672 Posts
wouldnt doing that to an auto make the gears wear out quicker?how long have u been anually sfting?

·
Sentra Flogger
108 Posts
as long as the transmission is well-maintained and cared for (regular, if not early fluid changes), there should be no problems associated with manually shifting an automatic.

i agree, it's fun to manually shift, especially when my fiance reminds me my car is an automatic not a stick. *grin*

S

·
0 Posts
Exactly right! I always take good care of the tranny. Stay on top of annual fluid changes and invest in a tranny cooler and you should be allright. Nissan auto transmissions are pretty strong from what I hear and can safely handle 200hp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why even bother its a stock auto tranny........?

·
Team Serious
2,132 Posts
i also have a auto tranny and shit 1,2,d but i realized that i didn't have to.. if i nail it say at a light and let of the gas a little and go back down slow my engine will hit 6900 rpms in first and then when it hits 2nd i just repeat it again and it revs 2nd to about 6800 rpms.... it works every time for me....

S

·
0 Posts
Importracer said:
Why even bother its a stock auto tranny........?

Because you gotta take care of what you got. Unless you have enough money to replace it. Sometime in the future I'll convert to manual but right now I don't have the money to do it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Saggy said:

Because you gotta take care of what you got. Unless you have enough money to replace it. Sometime in the future I'll convert to manual but right now I don't have the money to do it.
i think he meant why bother shifting manually, but i could be wrong.

so everyone here that has an auto and shifts manually is telling me that if i get an auto tranny cooler and keep up the annual maintenace on the tranny it would be ok to manullay shift it eh? somehow this sounds fishy.

S

·
0 Posts
rios said:

i think he meant why bother shifting manually, but i could be wrong.

so everyone here that has an auto and shifts manually is telling me that if i get an auto tranny cooler and keep up the annual maintenace on the tranny it would be ok to manullay shift it eh? somehow this sounds fishy.
I don't understand what exactly sounds fishy? Doing all that will make youre tranny last longer. Would it make it ok to manually shift then ?, thats assuming that manually shifting youre
auto would mess it up in the first place. Which I dont think it would. Maybe I'm wrong but I've been doing it and my tranny is still good to go.

·
Registered
672 Posts
the reason it sounds fishy to me is that if it were ment to be manually shifted, it would be manual.

S

·
0 Posts
If it wasnt meant to be manually shifted why would they put a 1 and 2 there besides the D?

·
Sentra Flogger
108 Posts
as far as i know, the first and second gears come in handy when towing and climbing/descending steep hills. whether or not they were meant to be shifted in sequence is another matter all together. with the right kind of maintenance, it's fine to manually shift an auto. it allows you to rev past the computer controlled shift points. when you shift into second (from 6,900 rpms or whatever), the rpms don't drop back as far, which allows you to hit third gear (drive) faster. is it worth doing all the time? probably not. and it really only works one way. when slowing down, you can only downshift into second (and at a certain point). going into first from second while still in motion would murder the transmission. i recommend shifting down into first only from a dead standstill. as someone wise and probably dead once said: "everything in moderation."

·
Registered
121 Posts
the reason it sounds fishy to me is that if it were ment to be manually shifted, it would be manual.
Not necessarily. Manual transmission is more for convenience purposes or for those people who don't know how to drive a car with manual transmision.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts