Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm new here I've been searching for answers to an issue I've been having with my '94 Pathfinder.

So after driving for about 2 hours the other day on the highway in -20 C temperatures, I pulled over and left my vehicle idle while I ran into a gas station. When I returned I noticed that the Pathfinder was no longer running. I thought that perhaps I unknowingly turned it off, so I hoped in and cranked it over. It ignited, went to about 1,000RPM and then the engine became weak and died. I tried again, same response and I gave it a little throttle and it lasted only a few seconds longer and died.

I thought that there might be water freezing in the gas lines, and bought some gas line antifreeze, put it in my tank with some gas from my spare jerry can and hoped for the best. Again, it fired up, and I pumped on the throttle and got it up to about 3,000 RPM, while pumping on the throttle it began to sound weak again and inevitably died.

I noticed that when I turned the key onto accessories that I couldn't hear the typical "whirring" sound from the fuel pump.

I had no tools, and it was after hours so I left the vehicle overnight. I returned to it today with my tools, and an aftermarket fuel pump.

When I disassembled the rear of the vehicle to access the fuel pump, I used a volt meter to test to make sure that my fuel pump was getting power. I was receiving the standard 12 volts (give or take) all the way to the fuel pump, and again did not hear it whirring as it should. I suspect an issue with it, however, when I was talking to the parts person who sold me the fuel pump, I believe they sold me a fuel pump for a carburetor version of my pathfinder. So I was not able to replace it to see if that was the issue.

I am planning on exchanging it for the proper fuel pump, but just wanted to check with the resident experts to see if they had any other ideas as to what the issue may be, or to see if you guys have any suggestions on how to deal with this. Is this sort of thing common in a Pathfinder?

'94 Pathfinder SE-V6
Standard Transmission
Fuel Injected

-Changed the fuse for the fuel pump.
-Switched around relays to make sure they were operational.
-3/4 tank of gas.
-added gas line anti-freeze.

Any help you guys could offer would be brilliant!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just bought my Pathfinder 6 weeks ago. I can only assume that since I have never replaced the fuel filter myself, that it must be long over due.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

So I installed the new fuel pump, and when I turn the key I can't hear, or feel it click on. I tried firing it up, and it still just cranks but doesn't turn over.

While doing this, the fuel tank built up so much pressure that it made a tiny hole in the corroded part of the fairing, specifically where the metal tube fits to the rubber hosing leading to (or from) the engine and it started spurting gas everywhere. I quickly turned the key off, and opened up the gas cap to relieve pressure in the tank.

I decided to take the old fuel pump and attach the lead wires to my buddies car battery, and it fired up and spit gas out of it. Apparently the fuel pump wasn't faulty after all.

Now I have a much bigger problem and I have no idea what it is. I am going to have to remove the fairing again and spark a weld to cover the newly developed hole. But I still have no clue as to what the issue is.

Anybody have any insight?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Will it not start period or would it start after waiting a half hour when you turned it off, I had that problem in a ford probe a couple years ago and it was a fuel pump relay I also knew some one else who had a fuel pump relay out and they just had to wait a few minutes. I did end up replacing a fuel pump once and I think what broke it was the filter was clogged or not reaching the gas and it was running dry In that case it would start with a full tank of gas with out a wait. I also had a friend with a audi that did a similer thing and they had dirty fuel injecters, I also had a friend, lol with a suburban and we blew on the gas lines to check for holes I can't remember what he came up with in that case i was just chatting with him while he was doing it. I don't know if this helps im not a mechanic so take that in to consideration. I also feel your pain trying to fix somthing and making a small mistake and making somthing else to repair. One last thing it would make sense about the relay becuase putting the battery straight to the pump would by pass that relay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed it. It was the wires in the wiring harness underneath the back of the vehicle that hook up to the fuel pump. Someone who had the vehicle before me, power tested the wires by poking them with their prod, and thus the wires corroded overtime and the fuel pump was not receiving enough power to run. She's all up and running and went playing in the snow today.

Thanks for the advice guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.