Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel guage never went below 1/4 even when the tank was empty. It also took forever to go to full when I filled up. I figured I'd swap out the fuel guage with one I found off another 94 at the wreckers and see if that will solve the problem. I found something interesting about the cluster when I took it out. All the bulbs that should be there are there EXCEPT for the low fuel light. WTF? The only other missing bulbs are the ABS and airbag lights, which makes sense because these options are not equipped. And for some reason there is a O/D off light which has no use on my 5 spd. I've never seen it come on but the bulb is there. Why did Nissan choose to leave the fuel light out? It would have been useful to me at least the first time my fuel guage failed. On the bright side I now have a whole extra cluster to scavenge from. Does anybody know about this? I can't be the only one missing a fuel light since both my cluster AND the junkyard cluster were lacking one (unless it's some incredible coincidence). Can I just take one of the bulbs from the donor and plug it into the empty socket? Also is there any difference between the blue ones and the copper colored ones?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I assume I had one (the place for it), but it never worked, wasn't ment to I suppose. A higher model probably had it and nissan just kept the spot to save on remanuafturing cost, why make 2 parts when you can just omit the light. Same is probably true for the overdrive light, why make 2 clusters for manual and auto? Well unless you had a gear selection indicator light built in.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have 2 94 Sentras. One's an XE with a no-tach cluster. one's a limited edition with a tach. the XE with the no-tach cluster has the low fuel light (at least the symbol is there when you shine a flashlight through the back of it) but it never comes on. It's right next to the blue hi-beam light. I think nissan skipped it on that model, cos the FSM doesn't even show it for that cluster. My limited edition with the tach cluster has a little orange dot inside the fuel gauge that comes on when I'm running low.

why they'd take the same 2 cars and put a low-fuel light in one but not the other is beyond me, especially when they have the same fuel pump, and the no-tach cluster has a low fuel light symbol on it anyways.

of course, nissan is funny with warning lights. if your alternator goes bad, you'll see both your BRAKE and CHARGE warning lights come on. but at least there's a practical explanation for that. on older nissans, you'd get those two lights, plus the SENSOR and STOP/TAIL warning lights too. who knows?

Dan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts