Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO....A LITTLE HELP PLEASE, GETTING TWO DIFFERENT REPORTS.... MY 2.4 1994 5 SPEED TRANSMISSION IS SHOT....MY LOCAL SALVAGE YARD TELLS ME ONLY 94' AND 95' ARE INTERCHANGABLE....IS THIS TRUE.
A REBUILDER IN FLORIDA WHO SELLS ON EBAY, AND HAS A 100% REPUTATION, SAYS BULL....87-95 5 SPEEDS ARE INTERCHANGEABLE.
WHO IS RIGHT?:eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and is the electonic speed sensor obvious

when i get the tranny down....i suppose a wire will be obvious ...instead of a 'cable' from the transmission.??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Electronic Speed Sensor on a 94 vs. 87 cable drive

Yes, I have the wired sensor, that reads, or is driven off the transmission, not a 'speedo' cable.
So from what i have heard.....I can take or unbolt my sensor off of my destroyed trans. ...which is a 94, and bolt it to a '87' transmission, that was cable drive to the dash, BUT BOTH TRANSMISSIONS ARE THE SAME...IT IS JUST THE DRIVE OF THE ELECTRONIC UNIT THAT IS BOLTED ON THE SIDE THAT IS ADDED...DOES THIS SOUND CORRECT, BEFORE I ORDER A REBUILT ONE FROM 3000 MILES AWAY?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
87-95 5 speed tranny interchangeablity

I'm on the road again, found a junkyard trans. for $300 bucks, and yes, older, but I just put my electronic geared shaft speed counter into the hole the older trans. used ;a cable drive, it was the only difference...beside the older one had a 'vent tube' out the top, vs. the destroyed one did not...go figure, but I am happy...got a work truck back
ALSO....DON'T USE GL-5 85-140 GEAR OIL....WON'T SHIFT WHEN COLD....DUMPED THE BRAND NEW GL-5, WENT TO 75-90W SYNTETIC AND SHIFTS LIKE A NEW TRUCK...85-140 WAS LIKE STICKY MOLLASSES, AND I SHOULD HAVE DID A LITTLE MORE STUDY ONLINE.
I GOT OFF EASY, AND DIDN'T DESTROY THE SYNCRO RINGS....LIVE AND LEARN.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
LOL and Willie Sings a good One.. finish poem/limerick if you want to give it a shot

Thanks Zaney....Trans is fixed, sky isn't Grey
I'd rather watch SNL reruns with Tina Fey
Wifey says don't touch remote
''Greasy hands don't float my boat.''

Winner gets a gallon of slightly used 85-140 gl-5

1 - 9 of 9 Posts