Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 Sentra SE, manual trans, 1.6 liter. Started out stalling at stop lights or not even able to hold 1000 rpms when stoped before stalling. I went to start my car when it started kicking and stopped, turned the key again nothing but dash lights, wouldn't even kick but still had headlights, radio ect... Me and a friend push started it to get it home, but after turning the car off, nothing but dash lights again. He pressed the switch behind the clutch a few times and got it to start once, but that was the only time it kicked over. We even tried by passing the switch and still didn't work. Could my starter be fried?

·
Registered
217 Posts
well if it was intermittently cutting out and now it doesn't work, I'd check the connection at the battery. these battery cable terminals are known for accumulating corrosion over time and that little red block on the positive cable makes it fun to replace them. make sure the clamps are tight. if they're worn down or broken or excessively corroded, they can be replaced with new clamps. just make sure that red junction block is connected and that both wires are plugged into it.

it could be that clutch safety switch, or the interlock relay. if you have an ohmmeter or continuity tester, you can test that switch. it's a normally open switch, so when it's not pressed, there should be no continuity (infinite resistance). when it's pressed, there should be continuity (0 ohms of resistance). you can check the starter with a screwdriver. the starter is a bitch to get to (not as bad as the thermostat!!!) but if you take off the air intake duct and air cleaner housing, you'll be able to get to it. turn the ignition on, set the parking brake and leave the tranny in neutral. make sure it's in neutral, that's very important cos if it's not, the car will move in whatever gear it's in. place the screwdriver between the two thick posts on the solenoid and jump the contacts. it should throw a spark and then crank the engine. if it doesn't, the starter is bad. if it cranks, you've got another problem -- most likely the clutch pedal switch.

lemme know how you make out with it.

Dan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts