Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 93 nissan sentra E w/ a ga16de motor. car starts up fine just doesn not want to idle. i just recently did a tune-up, did not help idle prob.
car has 170K, original engine. Only parts i've replaced or that have been replaced in it's life have been; nissan fuel pump, fuel filter, alternator, clutch(ACT), transmission(B-14 5spd), oil ofcourse(every 3K), PCV, wires, plugs, cap+rotor. i do not think it is a fuel problem, but more or less electrical meaning ignition or some sort of sensor. if anyone has any idea or could help lemme know please. thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
try checking the plug on the MAF. after i made custom short ram for mine...i didnt put the clip on properly and the plug came loose. it wouldnt idle.it alkso wouldnt go above like 3k rpm. try that out.

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
also check the tps if its unpluged it wont idle unless you rev it up alot could be the maf. i had problems on mine like that just dogged the crap out of it around the block and idles fine but i wouldnt recomend doing that lol

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
sl0wthe0ry said:
try checking the plug on the MAF. after i made custom short ram for mine...i didnt put the clip on properly and the plug came loose. it wouldnt idle.it alkso wouldnt go above like 3k rpm. try that out.
The MAF is connected. I know this cuz he's a friend of mine and at one point it wouldn't start period and we found that the MAF was disconnected which after connecting it the car would finally start but still didn't idle right.

Mitch

·
Registered
450 Posts
Your Idle Air Control Valve may not be working or dirty. I cleaned mine and posted pictures. Do a search. My problem was hesitation, stumbling, and engine stalled several times. It resolved my problems, but your symptoms are a little different.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Does it idle fine when warm, or does it not idle warm or cold?

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
johnand said:
Does it idle fine when warm, or does it not idle warm or cold?
Does it whether warm or cold. Also, He has told me that he already cleaned out the TB and IACV. I'm thinking it could be a screwed up sensor. When I get the 91 Sentra I'm planing to buy I'll have some spare parts to try on his car to see if we can pinpoint it. I know he told me he's having his mechanic take a look at it today so who knows. If he gets it fixed I will post it as he rarely is on nissanforums.

Mitch

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The TB and AIV has been cleaned, my mechanic put the AIV back on after he cleaned it and said it is not working , so we're thinking that's the prob. we've already changed the MAF and the problem persists. also the car idles badly whether it is warm or cold, eventhough last week after i sat in the car and fluttered the gas until it warmed up... finally it idled on it's own, but hasn't since. so my next step is get a used AIV amd try that, hopefully that fixes it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
gday,

may sound stupid... but has the battery been replaced before the poor/no idle happened? i know with the mistubishi magna, or diamante in the states, with the 3.0/3.5 ltr v6,that if the battery is dead, or has been replaced, the carbon and junk on the idle control motor causes it to stall and run rough etc, just a case of removing it, and cleaning it with carby cleaner or a solvent?!

good luck dude!

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
Aussie John said:
gday,

may sound stupid... but has the battery been replaced before the poor/no idle happened? i know with the mistubishi magna, or diamante in the states, with the 3.0/3.5 ltr v6,that if the battery is dead, or has been replaced, the carbon and junk on the idle control motor causes it to stall and run rough etc, just a case of removing it, and cleaning it with carby cleaner or a solvent?!

good luck dude!
as previously stated he already cleaned the Idle Air Control Valve.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my battery is fairly new, got it last summer(04). hopefully i'll obtaint the used AIV and see if that fixes it this afternoon. btw thanks for everyone's help so far. i really appreciate it a lot!

matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts