Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a pathy. I looked at a 93 XE std tranny I really liked and took it to my shop. They said there was an oil leak from the valve covers, leak from the rear pinion seal, and leak from the rear transfer case. I am a 4x4 newb and was wondering if these are fairly easer to fix yourself and if the leak from the transfer caes could mean some serious problem or just a seal.

Thanks...

·
Registered
48 Posts
As far as the valve covers go...Assuming it has a 3.0 engine which i believe was the only engine available at that time in pathy's...they are a challenge for the average mechanic. But can be done with a few hours and a lot of patience. as for the rear pinion seal and transfer case they are probably not that bad but appear bad due to the valve covers leaking down onto everything. I would change the valve cover gaskets first and clean the engine compartment. Then drive it for a little while and recheck for other leaks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any other ideas? I am mainly worried about the transfer case. Could a leak mean the possibility of a new one or just a seal?

·
Registered
75 Posts
right valve cover = piece of cake

left valve cover...not so much. You have to remove a lot of stuff to get to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts