Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to the street races topped out my car on the freeway. It topped out at either 119 or 120. It was still accelerating very slowly then it stopped. I think I got a governor cuz I had the car in 4th gear(it's an auto) and I know I had at least a grand left before redline. So is there a governor?

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Couldn't you simply disconnect whatever wire from the speedo sensor goes to the ECU? Probably not I'd suppose. I'd think that you could still have the ECU know the RPM's and the TPS still function properly, and just have the ECU be ignorant of speed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
in theory that might work but then you dont know how fast your going. also it would probably set a check engine light off

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
in theory that might work but then you dont know how fast your going. also it would probably set a check engine light off
From what I can tell in the wiring diagrams in my '93 FSM you're probably right. The speedo has a ground wire and two wires that go to the speed sensor in the tranny and a wire from the ECU. I assume that this wire from the ECU sends the voltage to the speedo to operate it, the speed sensor changes resistance depending on the speed, and the ECU motitors the fluctuation in current it is sending to the speedo, hence how it knows the car's speed. Nothing is ever simple enough is it? Oh well. It was worth looking into I suppose. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts