Nissan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
like i said the TT is a LITTLE heavier than the NA, not very much. and if you were to swap the NA engine for a TT they would be really close, but i have a feeling that would be relitively impossible unless you got tons of cash and time. and judging from the lack of comment my guess is is will never happen, $1500 is just a starting off point for that conversion. and i have driven a car without the hicas and there were no gains what-so-ever. the rear end did not inspire as much confidence while hard cornering. he only got the kit because repairs exceeded the cost of the eliminator.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
Re: If youve read

Atomzzz said:
All the smart drivers have their hicass disconnected... and also Steve Millen the most succesfull Nissan 300zx driver used a 2+2 that was converted to TT ... reason the car has a longer wheelbase... Thus it handles better It was lighter than the TT also... :) Its not as expensive as it sounds(well on TT.net it is) but I can buy a JSPEC TT for around 1500.00 with turbos slap the baby in and there ya have it.... and besides that I have a sweeet looking car that has been fun to work on... I've learned alot about the car along the way... I wouldnt get rid of her for less than $20,000, with the suspension, bodykit, brakes, disks, wheels, interior job, & sound system I have.
A 2+2 is not lighter than a regular Z. You can't buy and import a JDM Z here for $1500, they go for way more than that in the junkyards. Plus you have to make or get made a lot of other parts. Its cheaper to sell the NA and get a TT. Since you NA is so nice and you already have a bunch of work done to it, it might just be worth it to consider the swap but it will be difficult and expensive to do.

Mike

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
ShaksShaun said:
i really like the hicas, and i know plenty of people who feel the same way. the only people who buy the hicas kit are people who have problems with it and don't want to pay out the nose to get it fixed. and the 2+2 is a little heavier than the 2 seater twinturbo. a longer wheelbase only means more stability at high speeds, not through tight turns. doing a TT conversion is a lot more involved than just dropping an engine in, in addition to the engine you will also need the tranny,EGI harness,intercoolers and all the piping, fuel pump, oil cooler,radiator, ECU, front bumper,clutch, vac. assist stuff for the clutch,exhaust system, clutch pedal,variety of sensors and actuators and the main engine room harness. along with a lot of gringing and frame work to get everything to fit. so if that sounds simple and cheap, i want what you're smoking please. so good luck!:rolleyes:
I hated HICAS, it made the car feel like it wass about to spin out, then it made the car understeer like mad.

I disconnected it and strangly the car turned in better w/o the HICAS and felt much more balanced.

I htink removing the HICAS was a huge improvment.

Mike

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
ShaksShaun said:
i go strictly for power and performance mods. shiney shit does not make you go fast so i do not even bother. i got a set of sheep dog BOV's recently, sweet sound, good spool up time. gotta love turbos. but i had an NA at one time too, nice car for crusing but it does not have that throw you back in your seat power that a TT does.
Well atmo vented BOV's are a performance decreasing mod! They cause over rich running on overun and can cause problems with venting metered air at high boost levels.

The factory bypsss valves are huge and aftermarket ones are a gimmick noisemaker that can cause performance issues.

Mike

S

·
0 Posts
morepower2 said:
Well atmo vented BOV's are a performance decreasing mod! They cause over rich running on overun and can cause problems with venting metered air at high boost levels.

The factory bypsss valves are huge and aftermarket ones are a gimmick noisemaker that can cause performance issues.

Mike
you only rin rich for a split second at a time while shifting. and i would consider faster spool an upgrade.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
ShaksShaun said:
you only rin rich for a split second at a time while shifting. and i would consider faster spool an upgrade.
BOV's have no affect on spool. The valve size on aftermarket valves is either the same or smaller than the stock bypass valves.

Many times I have seen them as the sourse of slow spooling because they leak boost. Since the have to have a stiff spring to stay closed at idle they are also less responsive and cause more lag than the stock bypass valves.

They are a total rice mod on a twin turbo.

BOV's are ment for cars with a Speed Density air metering system. They work best on cars hat either had no bypass valve or the stock valve is really small. They work poorly for MAF Equipped cars unless they are recirculated and the springs are calbrated correcly. The Z has Bypass valves with huge control valves so aftermarket BOV's only hurt performance.

Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
ShaksShaun said:
like i said the TT is a LITTLE heavier than the NA, not very much. and if you were to swap the NA engine for a TT they would be really close, but i have a feeling that would be relitively impossible unless you got tons of cash and time. and judging from the lack of comment my guess is is will never happen, $1500 is just a starting off point for that conversion. and i have driven a car without the hicas and there were no gains what-so-ever. the rear end did not inspire as much confidence while hard cornering. he only got the kit because repairs exceeded the cost of the eliminator.
Actually you said "and the 2+2 is a little heavier than the 2 seater twinturbo".

The 2+2 doesn't have the extra weight of HICAS, intercoolers, turbos, and all the extra hardware that goes along with them. Its additional length and seats didn't add all that much weight.

HICAS is not at all an asset to excellent drivers. If it was easier and cheaper to get rid of, I would do it in a split second on my car. I can see how it would be beneficial to people who only drive their cars moderately on the street, but at the track it sucks.

S

·
0 Posts
my mistake, i ment to imply that the TT is a touch heavier than the NA. i used to have a 2+2 and the steering felt a little bit looser than the TT, but you can move the TT through tight turns like no other, the weight makes it feel a little more taught when moving it through twisties. i mainly drive fast on tight mountain roads and the hicas makes it feel like the rear end is attached to the front by a string. when you turn the wheels the back follows with ease. i have heard the hicas suck at the strip when you run slicks, but i rarely ever race my car unless i run across somebody on the street which would be a noteable kill. and i felt a noticeable decrese in spool time the instant i put BOV's on my car. granted most people including me just wanted a little woosh with a shift, and some people (me included) noticed a reduction in spool time. for $120 i had to take advantage of them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Now the TT is heavier than the TT. That clears it up! ;)

By "track" I didn't mean the drag strip. I meant road courses. The ones with corners.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I agree

Theres no benefit to the HICAS system, infact I've read that it inhibits performance.....

I'm glad I wasn't the only one getting confused by shaksshaun who has been posting ...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
ORIGINAL POST BY MOREPOWER2

A 2+2 is not lighter than a regular Z. You can't buy and import a JDM Z here for $1500, they go for way more than that in the junkyards. Plus you have to make or get made a lot of other parts. Its cheaper to sell the NA and get a TT. Since you NA is so nice and you already have a bunch of work done to it, it might just be worth it to consider the swap but it will be difficult and expensive to do.

Mike

A 2+2 is lighter than a regular TT Z..... read the specs.... If you've looked around you'll find TT engines from 900.00 to 2000.00 it wont be too expensive to do an engine swap.... I have a friend who has done it already.. hes done it twice... The first one was a engine swap and then the second was when he bolted on TT's to a N/A engine... Which outperformed the other... Something about higher compression in the N/A

S

·
0 Posts
i listed some of the parts you would need to do the swap, not cheap. plus there is a lot of fabbing that needs to be done so everything will fit together right. ie: the radiator from a TT will not bolt up in an NA with the engine's swapped so an aftermarket one will be needed or a lot of fab work will need to be done to get it to fit. same goes for the intercoolers. i have never seen a JSPEC engine go for less than $2800 and even that was a steal. as well as the engine you will need the tranny the harness' ect.... NOT CHEAP

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have found, you may not have found

I have seen several JSPEC VG30DETT's like as in (3) for way less than your quote of 2800...... I have some connections in Japan as I used to live there for 7 years. But I'm not even talking about that yet.... I'm only refering to what I've seen just brousing on the internet and calling around....

So if I have to I'll call a friend in Japan who could for certain hook me up....

Your right about one thing and that is theres other stuff that has to be done.... such as the radiator and mods for the intercoolers, no biggy thats small potatoes stuff

as I posted earlier I have friends that have already done what I'm trying to do and they have offered to help me. No offense intended at all but IMO You need to try and be more positive... Everything I've listed here in his forum you seem to bag on or try to discourage me from doing...... You must admit the idea of having a 2+2 TT is inspiring and anyone who'd pull up side of me and wanna run em' would be in for a rude awakening...... Just wish me luck and keep checking the forum every once in a while maybe you'll see the conversion in progress...... Peace through carpet bombing Atomzzz

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice looking car, I realy like all the white leather in the interior. I could never keep it clean.

Some cars are for show, and some are for go and yours looks great I don't know why that Shaun guy is such a hater.

Yeah, I thought a 2+2 convertible Twin Turbo would be the ultimate.

'I sold my '90 300zx (Auto:( ) I miss. But my se-r is much quicker (not faster) and lighter too.

S

·
0 Posts
I'm no hater. how could i be a hater when i own a TT and used to own an NA. i just like to see people be realistic about things in all honesty. in my opinion i think the paul bailey tails look quite lame. and somebody who thinks they can just "drop in" a tt engine into a NA frame is crazy. i think it is a great idea considering the NA looks a little sleaker than the TT, but i am from now on a 2 seater kinda guy. just my thing. like more power said, it is jucs cheaper to go with a TT, if you really like your car get ready to spend a lot of cash along with time in fabbing a ton of things.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
ShaksShaun said:
I'm no hater. how could i be a hater when i own a TT and used to own an NA. i just like to see people be realistic about things in all honesty. in my opinion i think the paul bailey tails look quite lame. and somebody who thinks they can just "drop in" a tt engine into a NA frame is crazy. i think it is a great idea considering the NA looks a little sleaker than the TT, but i am from now on a 2 seater kinda guy. just my thing. like more power said, it is jucs cheaper to go with a TT, if you really like your car get ready to spend a lot of cash along with time in fabbing a ton of things.
You gotta admit, its a nice looking car and some people just want to have a TT 2+2 so if they are going to do it right and know what its going to take going in, more power to them.

Mike

21 - 40 of 71 Posts