Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i was on a pretty busy highway called route 9 in new jersey. However, at 11:30 at night, it was pretty empty. I was sitting at a red and i see this car coming up fast in my rear view, and i was like...hmmm!! So, it pulls up into the empty right lane and its a mid to late 90's mustang GT. It was a 5spd. Coudln't tell what kind of mods it had...maybe exaust. So anyway, light turns green and we were both even off the launch, then even through second, then...yes..again...even through the middle of third when we shut down. which was about 75mph. The guy had this look of disbelief on his face. So, we come up to the next red...waiting for green, and i got a better launch this time and was able to get out in front of him and stay there til i shut down at around 65, and he pretty much did the same. It felt good, ill tell you that much...it pretty much made my night. his only mod was probably the exaust, cuz if he had headers or gears or anything of taht nature, i woulda lost. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, good kill. You got lucky though, it was probably in a bad state of tune or something. Even a 100% stock Mustang GT 5-speed should have kicked your ass. I should know, I had it done to me enough times when I had my NX. I also won a couple but I lost a lot more than I won. But, that's what happens out on the street... you never know. BTW, you need a header. That'll get your 1/4 mile trap speed up another couple MPH. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Granted i do need a header and i have been trying to get my hands on one for a while now. But, it wasnt a new mustang gt from 99-and up...it was a 97 or older one that was putting out around 220 hp i believe, and there stock quarter mile is around the low 15's, which is right on par with me. I have raced an 87 gt 5spd with exaust before and it was neck and neck, and my last visit to the track i was able to edge out a early 90ish mustang lx 5.0 by about a tenth of a second. I know what your saying though...most of the time, they should be able to take us. Hey, if you have a header you want to send my way, then let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
wow.. kinda made me wanna race some mustangs...

·
I think I lost my mod-nes
313 Posts
I agree with zak91SE-r
My wife has a 97 GT Mustang, and it could, would, and has kicked the shit out of many cars, including a riced out NX2000 (Yes, I know, it's dsad that there are riced Nissans) Hers is an automatic, too, and completely stock ;) hehe. ( At least thats' what she tells people when she spanks their decked out Civics, etc. They're like "Damn, what you got in that car??" And she says, "Nothing, it's stock" :) I gotta love this girl, even though she hates my Sentra.

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
i love Nissans, but it makes me proud to see a muscle car spank an import. mostly because I've herad, especially in SportCompactCar Mag, that import-ers have little to no respect for muscle cars. Maybe this is one of those revenge on daddy and his cars type deal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heh... so what are your feelings on SE-Rs spanking muscle cars then? Conflict of interest? :) I raced a new Mustang GT (2001+) at one point when I was in my Sentra... I kicked his ass really, really badly. In fact, I didn't have to take it out of 5th gear. I just got on it and put a couple bus lengths on him. For me, it's not about respect... it's more about saying "surprise!" and watching their shocked expressions getting smaller in my rear view mirror. :D

·
340 Posts
Its one of those love hate relationships.

but just try to out run a Cobra. especially when the 03 comes out.

Mustangs are well respected icons of power and freedom.

but it is great to have a little unknown suprise the shit out of everyone.

but i don't know how you could have spanked a GT that easily, ulnless your running DET. the driver must have not been on his game to be that far behind.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
ScarCrow28 said:
i love Nissans, but it makes me proud to see a muscle car spank an import. mostly because I've herad, especially in SportCompactCar Mag, that import-ers have little to no respect for muscle cars. Maybe this is one of those revenge on daddy and his cars type deal.
i always race in my class, unless i get a turbo or n2o, then that would be different. i dont even try, its stupid, im into racing hondas, toytas, mitsus, you know imports.
this guy in a mustang was next to me the other day thought he was cool and reved his engine trying to get me to race ( i couldn't hear it over my radio but my room mate said he did) light turned green and he took off smoking tire, then at the next light started looking at me and my car laughing (he probably was retarded and thought i was actually trying to race, my roommate, got out of my car and was going to beat his ass but the bitch took off, and you know i wasnt catching him), i was just taking it easy cruising around, why should we respect them? these people are always trying to race me, they know thell win, i know thell win, why do it? they dont have any respect either.... most muscle car owners make fun of us as import owners for owning "rice burners", and "grocery getters". these people suck... race in your own damn class and stay the [email protected]$k out of mine
cause i don't want to race these people, i have nothing to prove to them, im out to kill hondas, i do have somthing to prove to them! ok ill shut my mouth now.

p.s. sorry just venting some aggression, if i offended anybody i didnt mean to, just making my point about respect.;)

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
added note i have met a couple domestic performance people that have respect for all performance cars, like "a 13sec 1.6 is pretty quick" came from i guy i worked with, these people are the way every one sould be, and this guy would never try to race some one with a compact, he has nothing to prove to us, these people i respect.

·
340 Posts
My response to your comments landlord, are similar to your second comment. and the basis for my origional comment which you have quoted.

the person(s) who you encountered in your first comment were not ture enthusists. they were simply bandwageners who had enough money to buy a car in which they were led to be "the shit" in order to satisfy thier hormone problems. your account just shows that the other side is contaminated with these bad apples as well as the import category.

i can assure you that not everyone is like that. there are true Enthusists who work on either imports or Muscles which have equal respect for the other category. and i guess each side is due for thier surprise to keep things in line.

But i can tell you I am a True enthusists. I love Nissans but i am also a die hard NASCAR fan, ever since my uncle took me to a cup race when i was 11. its like choloate and vaniella. its good to be able to indulge in both flavors.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
nascar is fun me and my dad used to go every year to michigan international speedway. standing at the finish line is a rush, when those cars go buy at 200mph and then that smell of that exaust expelling all that burnt high octane fuel that makes your head go a little dizzy i was like you 11 when i first went and ever sence i've loved fast high performance cars. i didnt really get into imports untill 1998 when i bought my first sentra it was love at first sight i found sentra.net right after that, and been reading ever sence. i will go with nissan for ever! sentra.net has come so far scence then and i know im going off topic but thanks guys!! your the ones who got me into import tuning, before i found this sight i didnt even know that a 1.6, 2.0, 2.4 ect. could put out the numbers they can. even my dad doubted it untill i showed him this sight.

·
340 Posts
i've been going to NHIS for years, and the best place to bere there i think, is standing in front of the bleachers just off of turn 4. the cars look to be moving in slowmotion through the truns but once they hit the straitaway, and where you are standing, they rocket towards you and then blast by you in less then a second. quite a cool view. you get the ture measure of speed the closer you are to the fence. thats why watching on tv does not do justice. the long lenses that the cameras must use slow down the cars by flattening out the image. in order to show speed they would need short lenses, but the focus range would cause them to use many many more cameras.

·
313 Posts
Just to clarify, my wife isn't into killing Hondas, nissans, etc. either, but she will when they start shit with her. She gets especially pissy when guys with their friends in the car talk about how they'd love to "kick a Mustangs ass, but that girl is probably driving her boyfriends car, and would be too afraid to race it." Just to let everyone know, though, she's not into the import thing, she'd much rather kill a Camaro, which she's done... Plenty. Just not one of those newer SS models. :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just added thoughts.
A 5 speed late 80's/early 90's Stang is within par of a lightly modded 5 speed Sentra SE-R and/or NX2000. Atleast 1/4 mile times are almost identical. In fact a lot of the time from my viewing experience, the SR20's will be turning better 1/4 mile times at the tracks unless the Stangs have been heavily modded.

I owned a '91 NX2000 that had a 2" catback with Borla Turbo, Stillen/K&N intake and 17 degrees and I was always able to play with the late 80's/early '90's stangs on several occasions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
ScarCrow28 said:
but just try to out run a Cobra. especially when the 03 comes out.
Oh, I hope I'll get the chance. I'll probably even be a little bit faster.

ScarCrow28 said:
but i don't know how you could have spanked a GT that easily, ulnless your running DET. the driver must have not been on his game to be that far behind.
See my signature? Click that link. :D The Mustang guy was definitely on his game... my car is just a hell of a lot faster than his. Here's a hint though:

·
340 Posts
i don't know how your det is rated but here is the mustangs:

GT= 260hp, 0-60 in 6 flat 1/4 mile at 14.7.

01 cobra= 320hp 5.6 to 60 and a 14.2 @96. -this in 102 degree heat.

03 cobra = 390hp sub 5 seconds to 60 and 1/4 mile in sub 13s.

and just for fun
BMW Z8:
302 V8 394hp 0-6 in 4.5. a 13flat @111 mph.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't have a DET. Did you go to the link in my sig? My setup is capable of over 400 wheel HP, and the car only weighs 2500 lbs... I expect at least 11s out of it. When I raced that newer GT, I was only running 10 psi of boost... good enough for mid 13s anyway, and good enough to leave him in the dust. :D

·
340 Posts
is that not picture of a turbo? then your runnninga det. you put on a turbo and it became a t.

unless that is a picture ofa nos system which i know nothing about. if that is the case, the the race is completely unfair and null.

·
313 Posts
Just for grins, and becaue I'm in a good mood, I raced a Cobra this morning on my way to work. It was kinda like a Cessna vs. the Concorde. I got my ass stomped all over the road, not that I had any doubt at all that that would happen, but at the next light, the guy actually told me that I hung in there better than he thought I could. I was like "huh? You kicked my ass like I was parked."
Oh well, I knew I wouldn't win, I just wanted to see how a stock 1.6 would do against a newer Cobra. My wife won't race me in her her Mustang, but she still beats me even without trying. I need more power, or a faster car, and THEN more power, too. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts