Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Pastor of Muppets
153 Posts
Far as I know they switched in '93. There should be an ID tag under the hood that says what it takes. R12 is super expensive... you can get an entire R134 retrofit kit for less than what it would cost to buy R12 to fill your system. And that just is materials, that doesn't count paying for an authorized shop to refill it, since they're the only ones that can.

Converting to R134 is really easy to do, took me about 5 minutes to do each of my Subarus. You just have to make sure there is NO R12 left in the system. You can either vent it off into the atmosphere by unhooking the low pressure line on the compressor, which is SUPER illegal, or pay a shop to purge the system for you. Just tell them you plan on removing the AC system, so that way they won't try to scam you into a $200 refill.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I've owned two '93's and both were R12, I don't think they switched until late '94 at the soonest.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a 93' Se-r And its a R12 . Wanta see the labels?

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
I have R12 in my '93. WagonWagon has R134 in his '93? WTF? My build date is 10/92 (but it's a '93 model) so maybe they changed it mid year or late year to R134 in 1993.

·
Because Size Matters
1,260 Posts
Maybe They changed it for Cali models since they have the most restrictive laws and then followed suite later in the year for others?

·
Super-Mod with a 240
2,375 Posts
R134a came on cars that were either 93-94, depending on the time the legislation to convert all vehicles to the R134a from R12 was passed. The last cars came out of the factory with R12 in 1993 and the first ones with R134a came in the later half of 1993. Your car being a 92 has R12 in it.

W

·
0 Posts
The '92 Sentra is definitely R12. I just got my Sentra a couple months ago as a commuter car and the previous owner had it upgraded to the R134a system in 2001. There are stickers all over the inside of the hood that SCREAM that it's been upgraded. :D

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
1995 was the last year that R12 systems were placed in U.S. made vehicles, but most manufacturers stopped sooner. I would have said that Nissan changed during the 93.5 production run, however my XE had the same build date as Wagon Wagon's car, June '93, so they must have used up remaining R12 units and then started putting 134a ones in during that run.

·
Super-Mod with a 240
2,375 Posts
Yea, with some companies the changeover was immediate, with some it was quite slow. My information was based on a research I did when I was trying to solve my A/C woes.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
if you need a spare compressor for a 1992 1.6 I have one ready to ship out, very low miles. You will need 134-A seals in the lines for it to convert, evacuation kit is needed.
Chris 92 classic

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live in NY. A franchise store here (strauss auto) has the conversion kit on sale this week for $40, It comes with fittings,compressor oil,2 cans r134,installation hose w/gauge, for that price I will try it. Local repair shop wanted $200 for the conversion

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,759 Posts
I'm not sure what year they switched over, does anyone know? My wife's 92 XE needs the AC recharged and I'm trying to figure out how much it's going to cost.
The manufacturers should all have switched over to R134a in 1994; but to be certain, there should be a sticker under the hood, somewhere right up front, that tells you which refrigerant was used in the factory fill, and it also tells you how much. That sticker is part of SAE Standard J639, which provides safety and design standards for automotive air conditioning refrigerant systems.Aug 27, 2013

Also the high/low gauge set connectors for testing/fill are different between R12 and R134a systems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts