Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to test drive this car today. 99k. Owned by older man who fixed it up for his granddaughter 10k ago. He say over the phone the car is pretty much "perfect". He's asking $3500, and he says he put that much into it. (see my previous post).
I need more opinions on this car, and I do appreciate the ones I have so far received! Thanks.

·
Aaaayh!
439 Posts
if it is in near "perfect" condition with only 99k miles. I would get it. Thats what I gave for mine with 115k miles.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I agree. You'll know when you see it if it's worth it or not. Don't do like I did and drive 7 hours with a cashiers check made out for $3500 and when you get there, find out that what some dude in his 60's considers to be "perfect" only to find a split CV boot, noisy lifters and timing chain tensioner, a crapped out muffler, a slipping clutch and a car that's been smoked in for 9 years. Don't get me wrong, I love my car and I've resolved most of those issues, but was the car still worth it? Didn't matter, I had no room to negotiate with a check that was already made out to this guy and I'd driven all day and told myself I wasn't going home empty handed. Not a smart thing to do, especially since I didn't "need" the car, I had a '93 XE in much more "perfect" shape. I put myself in a situation by trusting this guy's word. I made a lot of stupid mistakes because I wanted an SE-R really bad and let it cloud my judgement. Anyeay, that's low miles for a '99 and you know what the book value is and you should have an idea what things cost to fix if his idea of "perfect" differs from your's. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought my 1993 SE-R a few weeks ago w/ 104k on it for $3000, all thats mechanically wrong is the gas milage issue, and the starter squeal. It needs some body work but I love doing body work so its no big deal for me. Mine was well worth it, and I only had to drive 40 min to get mine!! I have one of the 6 SE-R's in my town now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you don't know what to look for... take a friend, or do a search on this forum or sr20de.net. Also, and I can't stress this enough... be prepared to walk away.

But, with that kind of mileage, and if the car runs/handles well... go for it. Basically, what a car is worth is what you're willing to pay for it .vs. what someone else will pay for it. SE-R Classics are hard to come by. Toolapcfan knows what I'm talking about. Hell, I flew from FL. to NC. to look/purchase mine. I'd a been in a shit pot of mess if mine had been a P.O.S.(had no return ticket purchased for a flight home... hello Greyhound!).

Keep in mind, all our cars, since they are older, or going to need some fixing up. Depends on how much money you want to spend on a car and how much it will cost to fix.

Lots of people here have gone through the same thing you are, and it is a nice club to belong to.

Later,
Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
92 se-r

Thanks for all the responses. Will pick up car tomorrow. Will relate what I got....good,bad,ugly.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
cupdapimp, that starter squal can be somewhat remedied by pulling it out, taking it apart and greasing the shit out of the gears. I did mine a few weeks ago, and it still does it when its cold, but that's better than all the time like it used to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts