Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I'm Enic and :waving: I was trying to change the driver side axle on my 92 Sentra (4 door, 1.6 engine) but I couldn't get the darn thing out. The part that goes into the transmission just won't budge. Is there something special that I have to do to take it out? My wife and I rely on this car to take our daughters to school, bring me to work and for her to go to work. I really need some help with this.
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
axle

I am having difficulty also, according to several posts on this forum you have to carefully pry it out. I am waiting for a service manual before I go farther with mine. If you get it out let me know .

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
Enic Rios said:
Hello everyone.

I'm Enic and :waving: I was trying to change the driver side axle on my 92 Sentra (4 door, 1.6 engine) but I couldn't get the darn thing out. The part that goes into the transmission just won't budge. Is there something special that I have to do to take it out? My wife and I rely on this car to take our daughters to school, bring me to work and for her to go to work. I really need some help with this.
Thanks
On my car, I just used a large screwdriver and a good whack with a mallet to get it to pop out. Just make sure you don't damage anything or you will have oil leaks. I'm not sure if you have a manual or auto. It might be different for the auto.

·
Registered
249 Posts
get a large prybar w/ an angled end and place it between the axle and the tranny so the bend is away from the tranny when you straighten it up. just pop out the axle by pushing of the tranny w/ the pry bar. it is very easy to do. the whole job usually takes like 1/2hour to an hour depending on air tools or lift or not. it will take a little force because there is a c-clip holding it in the tranny. good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
92 sentra axle

the crowbar did the trick. I was trying a tire iron and other things. the passenger side came out pretty easy but the other one took a good bit more
force.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip

atl said:
I am having difficulty also, according to several posts on this forum you have to carefully pry it out. I am waiting for a service manual before I go farther with mine. If you get it out let me know .

I am going to try it one last time this weekend, if I can't do it then I'll have to take it to the shop. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Auto

Kindfiend said:
On my car, I just used a large screwdriver and a good whack with a mallet to get it to pop out. Just make sure you don't damage anything or you will have oil leaks. I'm not sure if you have a manual or auto. It might be different for the auto.

I have an automatic tranny and I heard that it may be a bit different than a manual. So what should I be careful with, as far as not damaging anything?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
C-clip

sersr20dk said:
get a large prybar w/ an angled end and place it between the axle and the tranny so the bend is away from the tranny when you straighten it up. just pop out the axle by pushing of the tranny w/ the pry bar. it is very easy to do. the whole job usually takes like 1/2hour to an hour depending on air tools or lift or not. it will take a little force because there is a c-clip holding it in the tranny. good luck :thumbup:

So I just give it a good give it a good push with the prybar? I also heard that the c-clip may get damaged, how likely is that? Do I force the new one in?

·
Super-Mod with a 240
2,375 Posts
Try twisting the axle around while pulling on it. That should do the trick.

·
Registered
249 Posts
like i said its not hard, just use a prybar and pop it out. auto & manual are both pretty much the same, just probably need to see someone do it to know what is done and you aren't gonna break it. just pop it right out, pop the new one in. that is the harder part, it will take some force, just make sure it is splined correctly before you force it in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts