Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a '92 sentra se coupe with 5-speed manual off ebay. It drove from PA to NY on friday with no problems, everything was fine. Parked it friday evening and put it in 1st gear like I do all my cars. Tried starting it up this morning(3 days later) and I have a problem. The car is stuck in 1st. The shifter is really difficult to move, and no matter where I move it to, the car still moves forward when I let up the clutch. After doing some searching here on the forums, it seems the rear motor mount might be the culprit screwing up the shifter linkage. Thoughts anyone? Is my tranny toast?

thanks for your input.

·
Registered
24 Posts
if you saya its the back tranny motor mount change it and see wat happens. ur tranny many not be toast.

·
Registered
851 Posts
i had the same (kinda) problem when my clutch went. you might just need a clutch (my starter broke off into the bellhousing, and all hell broke loose from that pouint on :()

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
could be ALOT of things, jack the car up and check out the rear engine mount and the shift linkage and see if theres a snag or super loose bushing anywhere, next check the dust cover if u want off the tranny, the lil black panal behind the crossmember . that may give a clue to the problem if u see metal shavings or clutch fiber chunks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Played around a little with the car today. Finally got it to go into neutral after moving the shifter around for a bit. I am able to get into all gears, it's just alot more difficult to move the shifter than it should be. Looked under the car and it doesn't look like anything's binding the linkage up. There's an obvious leak. Could a cracked case be the cause of difficult shifting? Clutch seems to work fine. Here are some pics:

anyone else have any input?

·
Because Size Matters
1,260 Posts
If that was an SR20 tranny I'd be able to help better.
Looks to me like you have a decent axle seal leak....I suppose you could be VERY low on gear lube. You might have done some damage on your drive if your tranny is too low on lube. FIRST AND FOREMOST...........check your old gear lube and replace it anyway. You don't know how old it is and you don't know how low it is. Also, when you get that fluid out you'll see if you have any metal shavings that are abnormal.

Take a pic of the engine mount. I'd be interested to see that as well.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What HatenFate says is correct, probably the car had a very large manual tranny leak and the guy that is selling you the car filled the transmission with oil and after 3 days the tranny is almost empty. Do not try to move the car and fill the tranny with GL4 tranny fluid. I know that it is hard to find but Advance Auto parts and Napa carry it with stalube brand with reasonable price. Also you might want to put Lucas tranny leak additive in it. I heard that it helps. just try..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Also try to see if your clutch cable is ok. I had to adjust mine a bit when it did the same thing a couple of months ago. It's an easier thing to check initially.

Stan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update:

I took the car into the shop, they checked the tranny fluid, it was fine. The shift action on the transmission seems to have good days and bad days. Sometimes it's real difficult to shift, other times it's not a problem at all. The car recently developed a pretty nasty vibration whenever I am coasting or cruising. The vibration goes away when I brake or accelerate. I'm thinking now that it's definitely the motor mounts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts