Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 pickup that will not start. New starter and had the battery checked and have tried jumping as well. The truck is not turning over. The starter is not getting any juice. What is the next step battery + battery cable? I am at a lost.
:loser: david

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey!
Dont worry, cranking problems are easy :)

Did you test to see that the starter is not getting any juice with a test light or voltmeter?

A few first checks are to make sure the engine, and ultimately the starter and solenoid are earthed well.
If theres no earthing, even taking a wire from the battery positive the the starter or solenoid wont do anything.

If possible remove the starter and test it directly at the battery, this will help eliminate a starter motor or solenoid problem.

If it spins, then we know the problem is the circuit, relays or key switch.

let me know what happens and ill help as you go along!

Good luck!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Don't forget to test silly things like the clutch switch. If you have a manual tranny, there's a switch that stepping on the clutch activates. The clutch really needs to be right to the floor to activate the switch. Another user of this forum had a problem with that switch recently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stll not starting

Starter has been tested and is good, and I do not have a volt meter. the clutch switch is all the way depressed relays all look good. I have seen this white stuff inside some of the plastic connectors on the positive battery cable. It looks like glue not like corrosion. still will not start all lights in the cab are working when I turn on key.
david

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
still not starting

Starter has been tested and is good, and I do not have a volt meter. the clutch switch is all the way depressed relays all look good. I have seen this white stuff inside some of the plastic connectors on the positive battery cable. It looks like glue not like corrosion. still will not start all lights in the cab are working when I turn on key.
david

·
Registered
706 Posts
jump from the battery to the starter post and it should spin! Go to the inhibitor relay ( the double relay on the passenger fender) and unplug the connector from the relay and bypass the relay with a short piece of wire or a paper clip. it should crank now!

·
Registered
68 Posts
A multimeter is a good tool to have for solving probs like this.
but not essential.

Just seeing the clutch switch pressed or depressed is no sur way of telling if its switching or not.
Sometimes the contacts fail inside and you cant tell by just looking.
Just bridge the switch out for testing purposes.

This is one of the most common starter problems, also relays, fuses, solenoids, and key switches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you know if a relay is bad? can you tell by looking at it? I got a new clutch switch and that was not it. I have power going to the clutch switch because I checked it .I got the starter to spin when I jumped the starter direct to battery but still not cranking. What should I replace next?battery cables? all fusible links look good. I made sure starter was tight. I have push started the truck when this first happened. Can't believe this has been so hard.
david

·
Hardbody Freak
2,675 Posts
if the starter is cranking when jumped check starter relay.

it is blue and mounted on inner fender well passenger side .to the rear of the bat and to the front of the fenderwell fuse box .. it is also a double relay..

·
Registered
68 Posts
How do you know if a relay is bad? can you tell by looking at it? I got a new clutch switch and that was not it. I have power going to the clutch switch because I checked it .I got the starter to spin when I jumped the starter direct to battery but still not cranking. What should I replace next?battery cables? all fusible links look good. I made sure starter was tight. I have push started the truck when this first happened. Can't believe this has been so hard.
david
Ok so you jumped the starter and it spun, that says the starter is good.
But did you jump it at the solenoid on the starter or on the big starter terminal.

If you jumped it at the big starter terminal, just the starter will spin cos jumping it there wont engage the starter to the engine.
Its the job of the solenoid to do this.

Jump it at the solenoid. this is where the signal from the relay comes directly to when you turn the key switch.

This should get the engine cranking, if it dont then the solenoid is not earthed or its had its days.

If it cranks, then it could be relay or key switch.

Almost there, dont stress!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally Got the truck to start. It was not the clutch switch but the part that the switch plugs into.A very small amount of corrosion was the culprit. I spent $150 on a starter and all the hassle of changing it out. Lesson learned. Many thanks for all the help guys and a thanks to Shane R. for helping me through my meltdowns.

mugwump :fluffy:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I finally Got the truck to start. It was not the clutch switch but the part that the switch plugs into.A very small amount of corrosion was the culprit. I spent $150 on a starter and all the hassle of changing it out. Lesson learned. Many thanks for all the help guys and a thanks to Shane R. for helping me through my meltdowns.

mugwump :fluffy:
Hooray! Congratulations!:fluffy:

Now what was all the stress about? :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cut the wires, and butt connect them together. Fully depressed clutch problem solved.

I cut the plug off, and connected the wires, because I felt like I was shoving the pedal through the floor to make contact.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts