Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All i could say is that car didnt stand a chance. I lowered the boost to 7 lbs to make it a challenge and he agreed to race for gas money - $500. SO we decided on the clearview expressway from Hillside Ave to the overpass on the LIE about 2-3 miles straight road. I also gave him 3 cars and the launch. So he launches 3 cars ahead and then i take it easy launched at 2500rpm. HE had about a 5 car lead as i was going into second (granny shifted into second) and then BAMMMM!!!!! Boost hit pulled right next to him in 2nd he looked over and was amazed,jaw dropped, eyes wide open. i threw him a peace sign and double clutched at 5000 rpm jumped 2-3 cars then chirped into 3rd gear and thats all she wrote, i was gone. I must have had at least 30 car lenghts lead as i passed under the LIE. I was $500 richer, chest was big. I am very disappointed in the specv, i was thinking that he would have had me top end with the 6th gear but i didn't think so. Maybe his govenor made him lose the race but i dont care. Thats what he gets for talking shit about old school se-rs.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
O i forgot i was going from 3 to 4 i accidnetly hit the scramble button, it was an accident i sware;)

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's so much wrong with that post I don't even know where to start. You're comparing your heavily modified turbocharged SE-R to a completely stock Spec V... and you're like "Spec V's don't stand a chance", and you were "very disappointed with the spec V"?

Disappointed? Because it wasn't as fast as your heavily modified turbocharged SE-R making well over 100 more HP? Um... what am I missing here? Why are you surprised that a Spec V couldn't keep up with your car? And did you honestly think he would have "had" you top end? When by your own description you put 30 car lengths on him?

Dude. Don't race a completely stock 175 HP Spec V and then act surprised that you won. That's just stupid. Er... and by the way, since when is $500 gas money? Last I looked it was still $1.80 a gallon, at least out here.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason why i raced him is because he was talking shit liek he was going to win so someone had to teach him a lesson, who better than the first se-r vs. newest se-r and he didnt have a stock specv or so he claimed He was a nissan tech for 10 years and said he had a couple of things done to it ext. intake headers timing bla bla. He said and i quote " you may be able to take me on a quartermile race but definelty not on the highway i have 6th gear that gives me the top end advantage" So i was like fine fine we'll race highway and decided on the CLearview and you know the outcome.

I really dont understand why when i race someone and post it here theres someone that doubts the fact that either the race took place or what have you. Damn man,i mean geez cause i keep things that i do to my car secret doesnt mean that all you guys have to attack me about this and that.

I was disappointed in the specv because of the strectch i got on him plus he was talking all this top end bullshit and it ended up being an abusive top end race on my end.

James-what Fast and furious ref u see?

As for gas money. FYI in NY anything under $1000 is considered gas money ok and its $5.00 a gallon for 100 oct.out here.

·
Its a JEEP thing...
388 Posts
You're comparing your heavily modified turbocharged SE-R to a completely stock Spec V... and you're like "Spec V's don't stand a chance", and you were "very disappointed with the spec V"?
But everyone is comparing the Spec V (175hp)to the old se-r(140)....and um, gee...they have more HP than the classic, but thats ok right.? Im really getting tired of seeing Spec V Spec V.and the owners thinking they are all bad...

If both cars were rated at 140 HP ...who would win...?
If both cars were rated at 175 HP ...who would win...?

ok...(off soapbox) If the Spec V owner was talking out his Azz.t...hen he got it handed to him..

there is NO fair comparison between these two cars..end of story:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like ya should...

This may not be the venue for this question, but can someone explain the value of double-clutching in such small cars? I've never actually seen it done and I was having this exact conversation with my Dad the other day.

1. How do you pull off a double-clutch manuver that is beneficial to keeping revs up?

2. What's the advantage of that over power-shifting (which is as I understand it: staying on the gas while you briefly pop your clutch in and out just long enough to get you to your next gear)?

So feel free to jump all over me if you like. My Dads works in trucking and as far as I understood double-clutching was for truckdrivers.

But hey I must be wrong if Vin Diesel was giving Paul Walker crap for "granny shifting, not double-clutching like ya should..."
There's your Fast and the Furious reference.

Keep on keepin' on....
Carlos

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Double clutching gives you basically a second launch while moving, while in gear above 2500 rpm let off the gas a bit and then hit the clutch pedal quick which causes the engine to rev up and then catch the gear at a higher rpm and then gives you a second launch... And if you gotta ask what double clutching is you better go back to your bmw and not think about getting an se-r.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
Re: granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like ya should...

clsindustries said:
This may not be the venue for this question, but can someone explain the value of double-clutching in such small cars? I've never actually seen it done and I was having this exact conversation with my Dad the other day.

1. How do you pull off a double-clutch manuver that is beneficial to keeping revs up?

2. What's the advantage of that over power-shifting (which is as I understand it: staying on the gas while you briefly pop your clutch in and out just long enough to get you to your next gear)?

So feel free to jump all over me if you like. My Dads works in trucking and as far as I understood double-clutching was for truckdrivers.

But hey I must be wrong if Vin Diesel was giving Paul Walker crap for "granny shifting, not double-clutching like ya should..."
There's your Fast and the Furious reference.

Keep on keepin' on....
Carlos
Thanks Carlos. Glad I wasn't the only one who remembered that line.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fast and furious was not the first place to metion "granny shifting" maybe for some of you it was but for me it wasn't . I granny shifted form 1st to 2nd and then double clutched in 2nd at 5000rpm. ok just for clarity

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when was writing the post that line from tfatf was no where in my mind. wrote it becuase that is what i did. Easy slow shift into second and then a double clutch in the gear.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice race but the specv had no chance and you know it T. Cheater -you hit the scramble button on purpose

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
sr21lbmonster said:
Double clutching gives you basically a second launch while moving, while in gear above 2500 rpm let off the gas a bit and then hit the clutch pedal quick which causes the engine to rev up and then catch the gear at a higher rpm and then gives you a second launch... And if you gotta ask what double clutching is you better go back to your bmw and not think about getting an se-r.
Thats not double clutching. Double clutching is when you push the clutch in when you take it out of gear, let the clutch out and push the clutch back in for putting it back in the next gear.

It is a technique used to save the syncros if you have a big rig or for shifting a sequntial dog ring constant mesh racing gearbox easily instead of slamming them like you normaly do when racing, like what you would do during a yellow flag lap.

The Fast and the Furious was wrong about it and so are you!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright mike. What do you call it when your in gear and pop the clutch and not let of the gas and stay in the same gear.? Or is there even a name for it?

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
sr21lbmonster said:
Alright mike. What do you call it when your in gear and pop the clutch and not let of the gas and stay in the same gear.? Or is there even a name for it?
why would you do this anyways? When the car is out of gear you're losing all that power between the time you disengage and engage the clutch... I don't care if the car feels like dynamite when you pop the clutch, feel and actual power getting to the ground is two different things. I don't care what it's called, fundamentally it's wrong. You would be faster just riding the gear all the way through.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
" you may be able to take me on a quartermile race but definelty not on the highway i have 6th gear that gives me the top end advantage"
Right, so either you didn't tell him your car was turbocharged, or he was just a dumbass. I'm betting it's option #1. And maybe a little bit of #2.

I really dont understand why when i race someone and post it here theres someone that doubts the fact that either the race took place or what have you.
Er... so far nobody's said anything like that. Nobody doubts the race took place as far as I can tell.

I was disappointed in the specv because of the strectch i got on him plus he was talking all this top end bullshit and it ended up being an abusive top end race on my end.
Look, if you were actually disappointed, even though you KNOW that Spec V is only a low 15 second car, then I don't know what to say. You're out of touch with reality or something. You sound like you're just as gullible as the guy driving the Spec V. Even though you knew you had, what, 150 more HP than he did? You still thought he could actually pull by you in the top end? Really?

How? A giant eagle would pick his car up and put it on the road in front of you? He would fire up his time machine and pass you that way? Did he have a flux capacitor? If you honestly thought for even a second that his claims about beating you on the top end could have been true, then you are just as much of a sucker as he was.

Double clutching gives you basically a second launch while moving, while in gear above 2500 rpm let off the gas a bit and then hit the clutch pedal quick which causes the engine to rev up and then catch the gear at a higher rpm and then gives you a second launch...
oh... my... GOD.

You can't be serious. Please tell me you're not serious. Look, I'm going to try to stifle my howls of laughter long enough to try to bring up at least one point here. Let's think about this logically for a second.

You're moving at a steady speed. That means your RPMs are consistant. If you let off the gas, push the clutch in and let the clutch back out, how does that "catch the gear at a higher RPM"? Your speed has not changed! You're in the same gear! How can your RPMs suddenly be higher?

The answer is they can't, unless you have another "secret" involving breaking the laws of physics. When you do what you do, you are not getting a "second launch". You are not going any faster and in fact you may be losing a little bit of speed when you put the clutch in. Your technique will lose speed on the drag strip. It does nothing but make you think you're going faster, when you're not. And it puts unnecessary wear and tear on your clutch and your drivetrain.

What you do is definitely not double clutching. Mike explained what double clutching is pretty well.

What do you call it when your in gear and pop the clutch and not let of the gas and stay in the same gear.?
Stupid. :D

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
sr21lbmonster said:
Drivetrain abuse! Not a smart thing to so with a high powered SR20 turbo car with its butter like tranny!

Mike

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Zak- I didn't let off the gas completly. and damn man do you have to analyze every little thing i write i mean jesus christ my whole post you had a comment about. How bout good kill or somethinglike that. The kid new i was turbo, i told him i had and se-r with a bolt on kit. and that question was directed to mike not you zak. As for the whole race i knew i had him. He was just talking so much shit, i had to race him and abuse him. show these young guys out here how i get down. Do you have to comment on everthing i write? Do you really have to do that Zak? what did i do to you that you always attack everything i write? is it becuase your a moderator or just an......

Mike- I knew your were going to say something to that effect. I was thinking you would have said "tranny abuse" but i was pretty close with that prediction.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.