Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have a strange problem with my 1991 Pathfinder 2 Wheel Drive.

With the lights off I press the brake pedal and the light on the left side doesn't turn on like it is supposed to.

With the lights on the brake light turns on, but when I press the brake light the light on the left side turns off.

I have looked and it seems there is a little rust on the light bulb holder.

I have:
Replaced the bulb
Replaced the brake light switch

Thanks for Any Help in Advance!

~ Jeff

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey,

I have a strange problem with my 1991 Pathfinder 2 Wheel Drive.

With the lights off I press the brake pedal and the light on the left side doesn't turn on like it is supposed to.

With the lights on the brake light turns on, but when I press the brake light the light on the left side turns off.

I have looked and it seems there is a little rust on the light bulb holder.

I have:
Replaced the bulb
Replaced the brake light switch

Thanks for Any Help in Advance!

~ Jeff
Sounds like you are getting a poor ground to bulbs. Clean the rust from the bulb holder and apply a little bit of Vaseline to the clean metal.

·
3,553 Posts
Or someone could have installed a single-filament 1156 bulb where a dual-element 1157 needs to be. I've seen that before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well,

I was working on it and I had only one bulb at the time in the side that worked. I switched it over and it worked, or atleast it looked like it. We got a new bulb and put it in the other side. We go to test it and the left side brake light still has the same problem.

Could we make a new ground using some wire? To avoid looking for the problem spot in the wire and fixing it.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
IMHO yes you could add a new ground, but the problem is more likely in the bulb holder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is what we will probably try to do next, is add a new ground.

But if that fails, is it possible to replace the bulb holder?

Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
yes, I just replaced a headlight bulb holder that was damaged.
I just got another one and used crimp connectors to join it into the wiring.

·
3,553 Posts
Do you have any trailer wiring that's already hooked up but tucked away in the rear at the taillights? Could be old loose wiring there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts