Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 sentra with the timing to 8 degrees from the factory, i'm gunna push it to 15, but i live in cali where 92 is very hard to find, everyone seems to have 91 around here......is that ok to use?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Of course its okay to use 91, just follow the golden rule: back off on the timing in the event of detonation, or "knocking". I often wonder what is actually coming out of the pump is 91 or 92 or whatever.

Russellc

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah u never know what is coming out of the pump, u might pay for premium 92 octane and the pump might be giving u 89 or 87

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
There are labs that will test fuel for octane at about $50 per sample. It's fraud to sell fuel that doesn't meet the grade advertised on the pump. If you believe you're getting shafted, $50 is a small price to pay for the Golden Egg. Check with your state's Attorney General.

·
Doodeee doodee doodee doo
1,495 Posts
is it okay to adjust the timing *all the way* without keeping the car running? i don't see much of a difference no matter what position my cap is at, and i don't think i've heard any knocking yet. (question: is it distinctively loud and annoying?) Maybe it's because i'm using 95 oct unleaded... :p (at TOTAL gas stations, for anyone who lives in the Philippines and is interested)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yo, i'm starting to regret adjusting the timing on my car, as soon as i did it, the "check engine" light came on, think its because i disconnected the TPS when the car was running

·
Registered
60 Posts
92 was discontinued completely in CA. I've heard rumors it's still at the gas stations in NorCal above San Francisco, but it was phased out last August and I haven't seen it anywhere else in CA since. 91 sucks. It makes my car detonate. :mad: I'm so jealous of the people back east who get 94 octane!! Be thankful you don't have a bunch of tree huggers out there trying to save the environment with 91 gasoline because it makes soooo much of a difference in polution over 92. I wonder if that's BS or if it's really true. :rolleyes:

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
I have a question

I was gonna post a new thread, but since we're already talking about it. I'm running 92 octane (gotta love FL :D) before I was having timing problems with it not advancing but now I have it working. right now I have the distributer almost all the way advanced and I'm running in the neighborhood of 20*. I don't have any detonation problems and it seems to run nice so is there any problem if I were to keep it that way or should I retard it a little?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
be safe and retard it a little.............but does anyone have any info on why the "check engine" light came on my car while advancing the timing? i drove the car around to see if i noticed anything suspicious, runs fine.....but.......i guess i have to take it to some shop to have the light removed.......it's annoying

·
Registered
500 Posts
I get 93 octane in North Texas.

See, it's true: everything's bigger in Texas, even the octane rating. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
i always use 93 in new york, just dont trust anything less. I just moved to florida and haven't gotten gas yet....do they even have 93 down here?

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Middy said:
Be thankful you don't have a bunch of tree huggers out there trying to save the environment with 91 gasoline because it makes soooo much of a difference in polution over 92. I wonder if that's BS or if it's really true. :rolleyes:
It's not us "tree-huggers" that are causing the problem. The issue stems from supply and demand.
When an oil company refines crude, they get all kinds of stuff out of it, most of it useless. At the top are methane, ethane, propane, butane, etc. - all the natural gasses. A little below that is hexane, septane, and octane, a chain of eight carbon atoms with 18 hydrogens attached. The gas you buy at the pump has a certain amount of octane in it, and the rest is something different, like hexane, pentane, nonane, decane, or isomers thereof.
In order to produce high-quality gas (92 or above), you have to use a lot of that octane that you get when refining the oil. This leaves you with basically sludge - the heavier 10-and-above carbon-chain molecules that have such a low vapor pressure that a car engine can't burn them well. To make crap-gas (85 or whatever regular is), you still have to add some octane to the mix.
In the midwest, most gas that is sold is regular low-octane, so the demand for that octane isn't much. The gas companies have enough octane left over to make really cool stuff like 94 octane gas. But in CA, there is a massive demand for high-octane gas. In order to get enough octane to continue manufacturing 92-octane gas, the oil companies would have to step up drilling, and that isn't cheap. So, rather than make gas more expensive, they opted to reduce the maximum octane available to you, from 92 to 91. One octane point doesn't sound like much, and to your engine it doesn't really matter, but to the oil companies it's saving millions, which keeps your gas prices down.
So, all in all, it's not us people who voted for Nader that are the problem - most of us don't really care what you fill your tank with. I personally fill up every week or so with 92-octane from Chevron. And in reality, octane is pretty clean-burning (for a hydrocarbon, of course) - engines are designed to burn it very cleanly, so more octane (as opposed to other heavier HC chains) burns cleaner than cheap 85-octane gas.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
So far, not one person paticipating in this thread indicates that 90+ octane is really needed in their cars. I suspect that many of you who claim to have advanced your timing didn't follow the procedure in the FSM and you gained nothing by turning the distributor. The ECU can do a lot of adjusting on its own, so if you don't get the ECU in diagnostic mode, you'll get nothing.

Even still, I have my timing set to 17º on my SE-R and ran 87 octane exclusively on the street. I never detected any pinging or rattling, the hallmark sounds of detonation. For track days, I ran 91 octane only due to the tendency of the car to overheat.

If you aren't turbo or squeezing, stick with 87 octane. Anything else is just a waste of you modding budget.

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
bahearn said:
So far, not one person paticipating in this thread indicates that 90+ octane is really needed in their cars. I suspect that many of you who claim to have advanced your timing didn't follow the procedure in the FSM and you gained nothing by turning the distributor. The ECU can do a lot of adjusting on its own, so if you don't get the ECU in diagnostic mode, you'll get nothing.

Even still, I have my timing set to 17º on my SE-R and ran 87 octane exclusively on the street. I never detected any pinging or rattling, the hallmark sounds of detonation. For track days, I ran 91 octane only due to the tendency of the car to overheat.

If you aren't turbo or squeezing, stick with 87 octane. Anything else is just a waste of you modding budget.
My timing is at 15 degrees - I followed the write-up on www.sentra.net that includes getting the ECU into diagnostic mode, etc. etc. I got pinging a few times with 87, and 92 is pretty cheap here. My engine is old (109k on the clock) and was not very well cared for by the six previous owners. It's a bit of added insurance for me and some more peace of mind.

·
Registered
131 Posts
on the subject fo fuel... I am racing this weekend.. and I was thinign about mixing some 130 octane race fuel in with my 92 octane.... if I mix it right it shoudl bump my octane up to about 104 or so... can I do any harm with that... my timing is advnaced... thanks in advance..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts