Nissan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone. I tried the search function and couldn't find anything on this. Sorry if it's a repeat. Anyways I have a 91 240sx SE Super Hicas with 170k KM on it. I have this slight issue with it. If I just really ease off and let it slowly climb to speed I notice it rev's up a little uneven. It will go up say 300ish rpm fine and then kinda slow down a bit in it's ascension, just for a split second and then go up another 300-400rpm smoothly. It's just berely what you could call jerky but it doesn't feel right. If I gun it it's not as noticeable. No white/black smoke out the car.

It has new NGK Platinum Plugs gapped to .044 (factory). When the car is warm and has been run for a while it isn't as noticeable as well. Generally it's when the car is still cold-ish and I drive off in the morning. I installed a new fuel filter (canadian tire).

Once I'm in second gear and on it's not really noticeable, just really in first gear. Also if I am in first gear and give it some gas and then let go of the pedal quickly it is a little jerky in decelleration and there is some 'bubbling' sound in the exhaust. Nothing loud, just a quiet gurgle sound? Any insight on this would be awsome. I was considering swapping for a better name brand/z32 fuel filter, maybe new plug wires?

Any help would be awsome guys(and gals)!!
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
is it an automatic if so your tranny or your torque converter is going out cause mine just went out and was doing the same thing

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,953 Posts
I would suspect your problem might be ignition related. With that many miles on the car, it's recommened to replace the following ignition components:
- Distributor cap and rotor. Buy only OEM from a Nissan dealer.
- Ignition wires. Buy an "NGK Blue" wire set; it's better then OEM.

You're better off to use the standard NGK plugs BKR5E-11 instead of the platinum plugs. I've tried platinum and found the standard plugs work better. Also the 0.044" gap is too large. The proper gap is 0.039 - 0.043".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awsome, thanks a lot! I kind of suspected it was something to do with ignition myself, I will definetly try out your suggestions. It is 170 000KM not miles...I don't know if ya got that one. Anyways doesn't matter haha. Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
also the iridiums are a butch of crap. i ran those on an n/a setup not even turboed and they caused my car to stutter (never use iridium plugs for turbo setup). like said before just stick with regular plugs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha how much you offer? it's not really for sale but maybe for the right price. 240's around here are really popular and worth quite a bit. 6g+ for one in this shape with low k's for a 91. you can see lots for more than 6k on usedvictoria.com or usednanaimo.com usedvancouver.com. that's my area. just got in brand new tie rods inner/outer, all new rotors/pads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
btw Thanks for all the help on this guys. Totally helped, new cap/rotor/wires on the way. got in new plugs and it helped a lot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah i just installed all that for mine too i just hate auto

·
Registered
150 Posts
thanks

thanks nismo, my brother told me about it awhile ago. told me to go find a 240 in a junk yard with the super hicas differintial or something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah Super Hicas comes standard with a nice Viscous Limited Slip Differential, works great. :):) I installed new drilled rotors/slotted pads all around, slightly thicker tie rods inner/outer on both sides (one of the old ones was bent). I'm glad I got it off when I did because as I twisted off the nut with the tie rod in the vice, it snapped!! Good thing it didn't happen on the road haha..

Car is solid now though. :) New tie rods and 4-wheel alignment made the Hicas a lot more noticeable and functionable :) I LOVE IT. Thinking about maybe adding some boost to my KA, it's in pretty good shape and pulls strong, only 105k miles. Anyone here have experience building a KA-T?

·
Registered
26 Posts
no but when you do u should take plenty of pics to show us all

1 - 16 of 16 Posts