Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
B.A. Theatre B.S. GA16i
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...
My water pump failed and the car overheated. I left it where it stopped overnight and tried to move it in the morning but it wouldn't start.
Managed to tow it home and start diagnostics.

Replaced the water pump.
Compression Tested.

The compression on all 4 cylinders is 90psi. I suspect the valve lifters but I'm looking for ideas!

J.

·
B.A. Theatre B.S. GA16i
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Have I stumped the panel?

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
have you done the leak down test ?? ... IMO i found it very strange that you get 90psi on all cylinder unless all the oil is in the bottom of the pan wich would suggest that the rings arent sealing completely....

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
should have up around 130 i think so im gonna go with what crazed said and suggest turning the engine over with the coil wire off and see if oil pumps up to the top of the head to make sure that oil pump is workin

·
B.A. Theatre B.S. GA16i
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had high 150's when I finshed with the swap. I'd like to see those numbers again:) Also, I don't know how to do a leak down. I don't think I have the right equipment.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
well ud need a leak down tester its basically a compression tester that u leak on longer , see if it holds pressure or if it leaks past the rings after a bit

·
Whore Slut Bitch
464 Posts
Leakdown testers are kind of expensive. If you have a friend that's a heavy-duty mechanic or any mechanic I guess, you could probably borrow one. Another expensive useful tool is a borescope, so you can get right into your cylinders and see what's wrong. In older cars I've taken a peek and found that injectors were clogged, etc. But I guess it's kind of a handicap tool since I'm not very good at working on cars. :)

·
B.A. Theatre B.S. GA16i
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Compression on GA16i is 182psi at factory with a 142psi minimum spec.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No it's not. I've got 8.8:1 compression on my 2.0 and I get around 175-190. Stock compression is 9.6:1 and that'll usually put you around 185-210. Then again, this is on an Avenger.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
Slacky said:
really cus my buddys is 12.4 to 1 with 215 i think..

thats an honda ?? ;) .. they tends to get lots of blow by in those engine and since the stroke vs height is so small it might only be that.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
no its a vw but could be for the same reasons cus hes oil pump was shot and didnt know it till i drove it and told him

1 - 16 of 16 Posts