Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 89 Sentra has a problem with revving when the car is being driven. It has the 1.6L 5-spd manual transmission and 150K miles. When I drive it, the car acts as if it doesn't want to go anywhere. In 3-4-5 gears, I can accelerate, but only VERY slowly. If I try to accelerate in those gears, the engine revs as if it is sitting idle and someone is revving the engine. Understand what I mean? I've checked the brakes and they are good. Don't know what else to check.... Any assistance would be GREAT!! :D

Matthew Parrish
[email protected]

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Get a new clutch. Yours is toast. Happened to my friend, if he tried to accelerate in 5th the engine would just rev.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I had a feeling it would be going that way. About how much do they go for in the shop? Also, if I could do it myself (with a mechanic friend, of course), what kind of mess would I be getting myself into?

Matthew

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
I've never done a clutch before but I don't think it is that hard to do. Clutches for these cars are pretty cheap, but if you want something better ACT makes some performance clutches for this application. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
nissan sentra

whats the voltage reading on the maf sensor? its the top white wire of the connection. check it at idle, 1500, & 2500 rpm:rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts