Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 Sentra with 250k on the clock...this motor has had it. What I want to know is should I get a rebuilt kit and rebuild the motor myself. I know I have to get it bored and honed, and I have the tools to rebuild the motor.

Now for the tranny. Could I still live with it for another 50k? I want this car to hit 300k hehe. Its a 5 speed. The clutch has 50k on it, and my sister has had this car...no tellin what it looks like. Should I just haggle around and get a tranny out of the junkyard and will be ok? I am on a budget of about 1200 bones.

·
Registered
13 Posts
First... how do you know the engine needs to be rebuilt? If you can, it would be farily cheap to pull the engine re-ring the engine put new bearings in it, and get the head rebuilt. Also since the clutch already has 50k miles on it, i would replace it, the tranny should be fine if it was taken care of... change the tranny fluied.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can tell you dont know much about engines. Lemme refresh your memory. THE MOTOR HAS 250K ON IT!!!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
miles dont matter, if your compression and blow by is good then your all set the only thin u have to do is a good tune up, from water pump to fuel filter

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This motor burns oil like a mother fucker and the only reason it isnt running is because the timing chain skipped a link. Believe me people...this motor has HAD IT. I can put some new rings in it and it will last me another 5k..IF im lucky. I dont feel like puttin so many hours in the shop workin on this thing. I really want to know if the tranny will last me another 50k. I wanna have the only GA16i tranny with 300k on it. I also want this thing to be reliable because I am going to be driving in the city A LOT. Also...if I do get a complete engine rebuild kit...how long do you think the motor will last me until I need another rebuild?

Also, before the car bit the dust...it rattled like a diesal. I know it was the timing chain rubbing against the cover. But after I got that fixed, it still rattled. And I mean it rattled to the point where people could hear me comin up the road. I bought a new head and It still done the same thing. What causes this? How can I fix this? I have to reuse the old head with 50k on it because I cant afford getting a new one. Thanks for the help yall

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
If your just looking to make this car run right again, i'd just look into buying a GA15 off Ebay and dropping that in. Even with a good tune up and a new clutch, you should be pretty well under your budget. As for your tranny, if it works fine, change the gear oil and move on. Put a couple of hundred aside somewhere, if the tranny craps out later, then change it. not a bad or expensive job. :rolleyes:

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
It is basically a 1.5l JDM version of the GA16i . seems to be a pretty popular, inexpensive motor and makes a nice replacement for a tired Ga16i. Omnimedia just had one put in his car HERE . Seems to have worked out pretty well for him. Bolts right in to your current setup, just need to use your intake and exhaust manifolds. Seems like a better option than doing a rebuild on your current setup and probably a lot less work too. :cheers:

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok...I dont like eBay very much. Is there a website that has a GA15 at a good price and is in good condition. If I can get at least 50k out of this motor..I am fine. Thanks for yalls help. :banana:

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm..he got it from eBay. Can I just find me a website that carries them? Does anybody think somebody in SC will have this motor?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts