Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experience with a heater core for this thing?

The Heat quit on me last winter as did the radiator.

System was pretty crusty. Just replaced radiator. Still no heat.

Wondering if this thing gets clogged easily?

From what i've looked into it's made out of aluminum?

How and what causes it to fail?

Does it get tiny pinholes like a brass/copper one?

The factory rad is all metal so maybe a disagreement btwn ions?

Part prices are crazy, anywhere to get a deal?

Thanks

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,517 Posts
If it's only clogged and not leaking, try reverse flushing the heater core. Disconnect the heater hoses off of the core fittings in the engine compartment and set the heat setting to "hot" so the heater cock is open. Use a garden hose to flush out the heater core. If water flows freely through it, then it's not clogged and you may have a different problem. If the core is leaking, then that's a different story. Replace it with a new one, which involves removing the dashboard. Try Rockauto.com for descent prices on aftermarket parts. Ionization can create pinholes in heater cores (as well as radiator cores) over time. Best way to avoid this is to service your cooling system per the manufacturer's maintenance schedule and use distilled or demineralized water to mix with antifreeze.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easy Fix

Scored a major break today,

For those who might think their heater core just went try this.

So finally got to pokin around this heater core thing today.

First decided to take a look under the dash to see whats goin on.

Turns out that the temp control slide had slipped and was not opening the heater inlet.

Theres a little wire in a plastic sleeve that controls the coolant flow to the core.

Where it connects to the temp slide it's just held in place by a press fit clip with two little teeth that dig into the plastic sleeve to prevent it from moving.

The plastic sleeve slipped past the teeth allowing the wire to just bend instead of moving the little arms that open and close the heater core.

It's a really bad design and I can see this happening to everyone.

So all you have to do is just pop off the clip pull the wire and sleeve forward
and re-insert the sleeve/wire back into the little groove with teeth and the pop clip back in.

And voila no more foggy glass.

It was fairly easy to do. I removed the front trim panel and radio just for easier access from the front but you might be able to do it from underneath the dash.

So before you rip out your dash... check those controls.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are heater cores interchangeable?

I need to replace heater core in my 89 sentra. Can I use one from a 91 model? The googles tell me nothing. Thanks for any input!

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,517 Posts
1991 through 1999 are compatible with each other, but not for the earlier B12 Sentra. They are pretty expensive, which is why I assume you're asking. I think you can get a genuine Nissan part for a little over $200 from www.1stAAANissan.com. Aftermarkets are available, but I've yet to see one under $350.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts