Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 pathfinder (V6 3liter) with 400000kms on it. Been running great until a couple of days ago it was struggling at low revs but fine once accelerated over 2500rpms. Change gears, reduce revs and limited power again. This was the case until last night it stalled on the highway and I can't restart.

I changed the plugs a couple of days ago but no luck. Also took it to a mechanic and after 2 hours all he could determine was that one or more cylinders was missing but compression tests on two suspect cylinders showed no problem. I am waiting for a new distributor cap, rotor and fuel filter to arrive but wondering if anyone has any further suggestions on what to try.

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
is it a standard or outmatic trans? sheck for exhaust leaks i heard that our vg motors were good forexhaust manifold bolts t break causeing an exhaust leak resulting in loss of power... i tore my motor apart and when i took off the heat shied four bolts fell right out... also check if the spark plugs are screwed in good and not leaking i had a plug strip out and had no power or even a plug cat..

also check if the tp sensor and maff sensors are good.

btw what appened before your engine stalled

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 5 spd standard. Before stalling it was essentially the same problem. I was trying to pull away from a traffic light but had no power. I pulled over and let off the accelerator, then it stalled and wouldn't restart.

Thanks for the heads up on the exhaust system. I'll have a look at that today. Cheers.

·
3,553 Posts
I'd do the basics first: fuel filter, air filter, cap and rotor, check plug wires, change plugs, clean the MAF sensor and clean the throttlebody/TBI. Also, check for vacuum leaks from vacuum hoses. All cheap and easy maintenance. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts