Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Nissan Pulsar with 207k miles on it and I finally got my first major problem with my pulsar. I have a blown head gasket and i was going to replace it myself instead of paying to have it done and i was wondering if there were any write-ups on how to go about doing this. any info would be helpful! thanks guys

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,240 Posts
how about the FSM? Haynes?
Search the forum?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Head gasket

I have just completed a head gasket replacement on my 88 GA15E EFI SOHC 12V Pulsar.

look in a public library for the repair/service manual for your engine - it will almost certainly have all the steps outlined for this repair.

The run down of the job I completed is as follows:

The head is removed with exhaust and input manifolds attached, so you need to remove the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold and all pipes and air hoses from the input manifold that tether the assembly to the rest of the engine/car body.
Remove the rocker cover.
Mark and remove timing chain.
Loosen the head bolts (only in the correct order according to your manual)
Remove the head from the engine block, and inspect.
Depending on how hot your engine got and for how long, your head surface maybe cracked, or warped. Warped heads can usually be re-planed but a machine shop has to do this. Sometimes you can weld cracked heads. Mine wasn't terribly warped (you can use a straightedge to checkonce you have removed old gasket material)
Now's a really good time to clean out the coolant jacket around the cylinders (I rigged up a small vacuum hose to suck out the rust and gunk)
Install a new gasket and essentially reassemble. Tightening the head bolts requires following a specific procedure (manual) and a torque wrench (not optional!).

This will take you at least two solid days, if everything goes smoothly, but if you have trouble getting the right gasket or replacing dodgy looking hoses it can delay things. I took me 5 or 6 days with many interruptions and difficulties obtaining parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts