Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there all, first of all. i registered here to see if i can get some help with my question. here goes:

my 89 nissan sentra 2dr, automatic 4 cylinder has about 203500 miles on it. man its been a great car but my ignition switch i think is going out. with the key in the accesory position the wipers, blower motor, and radio work fine. when i start the car those 3 things do not work anymore. everything else works fine, but just not those 3. now if i barely turn the key while the car is already started, like im gonna start it again, those 3 things start working again???

does this sound like an ignition switch is going out? if so how hard are they to change? regular tools or special tools?

thanks for reading and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

chevyman66

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
Hello, welcome to the forum.

Took a quick look in the factory service manual and it does appear that the ignition relay and accessory relays are different circuits coming out of the ignition switch explaining why it is only affecting the accessories. Sounds to me like it is in the switch.

Doesn't look like it should be a big deal to change. If you take the plastic column cover off, you should be able to easily see the ignition switch on the top side of the column.

there are 2 replaceable shear bolts that hold the lock/switch to the column. looks like you have to drill those out and replacements must come with the new switch ? :cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey right on man. i got it rigged right now with some duct tape (of all things! lol) . guess ill have to go order me one of those switches then. thanks for the reply man and i know i can get a lot out of this place! info i mean. man id love to get 100,000 miles outta my $600 dollar nissan. that car rules! rock on all! :thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts