Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving yesterday in a down pour and the wipers went up them stopped. I heard a clunk sound then they just stopped in the up position. I can hear the motor and some parts moving, so I know it's not the motor. I am thinking maybe the rod or connection mechanism came off. Anyone else had this problem before on this?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Your problem has to do with the linkage to your wipers. Coming from your wiper motor are arms that conect to turn the left and right wipers. The arms have bushing on each end that pop onto balls that look like miniature trailer hitches to enable them to rotate back and forth freely.

Right below the bottom of your windshield should be two grills. called "cowl grills" You'll have to take off the wipers and take off that metal piece that runs across the bottom of your windshield to get to your linkage. Nissan bushings are extremely hard to find. ( i've tried ) so your either going to have to rig something up or go to a junk yard and take the linkage from another vehicle.

It would be alot easier to understand using pictures as it can be difficult to visualize if you've never dealt with this problem before. I can post some pictures if needed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Here is a pic of what I'm talking about... Not a pic of a hardbody linkage but pretty much the same thing... metal arm on top looks new and has the white plastic bushing on the end that pops onto the pivot ball. The old arm below has the worn out bushing popped out of it leaving a big hole. (note that there is a bushing on each end of the metal arm that pops onto a ball pivot)

This is a picture of the ball pivot that the bushing pops onto... The black rubber piece on there is used to keep grease in that area for lubrication.

Hopefully this will give you a better understanding of whats going on...
I would say that even if you were to get to your linkage and pop that arm back onto the pivot... once you turn your wipers on it'd pop back off because of the worn bushing.
So either find another bushing to replace the old one or find another vehicle to pull one off of.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,923 Posts
You don't replace the wiper bushings on this model; you just get a new link. You'll likely need wiper link #1. Should cost about $16 from the Nissan dealer.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
on the early model (up to 89) you can get them, they are called "ball retainers"
(Nissan pt# 28851-V0100) they run about $2ea
I had to replace them in my Sentra (old school) same ones in the HB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts