Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Sentra 89 (GA16i) for 1000$ can. and the guy who sold it to me said that this motor had a timing chain but I think I heard otherwise elsewhere. Anyone knows?

·
Soon to be GA16it
444 Posts
Definitely timing chain.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey, for some reason I wanna say it's a chain:D

·
Banned
107 Posts
gotta be a chain!

yep! its i chain! but when ya go to work on it... be sure to put the chain cover back on right cuz if you dont the chain will wear a hole in it and cause the damn thing sound like a diesel! very expensive that thing was!

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Good 'ol chain.

50dollasentra, just how the hell can it wear a hole in the front cover???

·
Garage Sultan
1,173 Posts
SuperSentra4203 said:
Good 'ol chain.

50dollasentra, just how the hell can it wear a hole in the front cover???
well the chain spins at a good speed and as it spins it is guided by some little black plastic chain guides and a black plastic tensioner. If the guide breaks the chain will have some free play. The chain will tend to drift towards the cover and after rubbing against it for some time it will wear a hole throguh it.

-Nick

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
I understand about the timing chain system, but my first had a busted tensioner for many years without a problem, just some annoying noise. Then again, if the chain is stretched a little (which they will) it'll thump around I guess. You'd think someone would fix something easy like that before it wore a hole.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts