Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1989 240sx a few weeks ago. It only has 88,000 miles...but has been abused/neglected for years. It had been sitting in a back yard in Detroit (as in grass, underneath a tree that ruined the paint,etc) since 1998. It has a probable rod knock (I will have to fix that later) sounds like something is rattling loose in the bottom of the engine.

But my immediate task is to fix the brakes. Took it to Midas...they sais it needed calipers, and since they were soooo rare they wanted $1200 for the job. Procede to take it elsewhere, they kept it 5 days and decided the calipers were fine but wanted $500 for front+back pads/rotors.

So naturally I decided to do it myself...and seeing as how it will be anywhere from 9 to 19 degrees this saturday, I hope to get access to my friend's dad's heated garage.

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice on changing the rear brakes on this thing. Plus I need to know how to tell if I have ABS brakes or not because I have to order the parts.

So, will I need any special tools...like impact screwdriver, or are there tricky aspects to these brakes? I have done Ford/Dodge/GM brakes, but actually Nissans are pretty rare in the motor city...and I do not have much experience with Japanese cars. Owned an old 84' celica once. Hated it.

I really like this car though, once I get the stereo working I can jam some Boredoms, Ruins, Melt Banana (obnoxious japanese punk) for my big three driving neighbors.

·
Registered
66 Posts
nothing too hard. I just did the stoptech stage 2 on mine. check the seals around the calipers. Rebuild them, don't replace them. you can rebuild all 4 for about $100. If you've done discs before, just follow suit and have a can of penetrating lube handy.

·
so close to turbo...
925 Posts
whoa whoa whoa

im trying to stop you before you go too far and then go 'oh damnit'

look into the 300zx big brake upgrade. it can be done for only like a few hundred bucks...it will stop your car much better...and i believe there is an ABS light on the dash if you have it....i do not have ABS so im not positive.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you look around at your local part places you might be able to find loaded rebuilt calipers for your car for a descent price. i would also say get all new brake fluid and possibly hoses just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info

I just ordered standard pads/rotors plus kits, rust buster, grease, cleaner, chiltons, etc...can't afford the good stuff yet.

and yeah, I tried a search on my question 1st, but nothing useful came up.

I had a bit of fun trying to determine if I had ABS. Found an empty lot covered in slush, got the 240sx going ~35mph and slammed on the brakes. Tried to feel the pulse that would indicate ABS, but the brakes are in pretty bad shape so it was hard to tell. I am going out to pull wheel off to see for sure.

I am quite impressed with how the car handles braking on slippery stuff. It gets stuck real easy in the snow though, but once it gets going it is much better handling than the other RWD cars i've owned.

I plan on tricking this thing out later on when I can afford it...when the engine goes I will either stick one of those engines you guys discuss here, or rebuild and get a turbo for it.

Body needs work too, but the shocks and trans are in good shape. I hope. I have never worn out a manual trans, but MI has some of the worst roads in the country and its just a brutal commute to work and back.

·
Registered
446 Posts
pop your hood, look in the upper left hand corner, and if there's a big metal piece with a lot of hydraulic lines coming out all of them going to the master brake cylinder then down to the brakes...then you have abs. Also, if you wanna check the fun way...just take a dry street get it goin' and lock em' up...if you're on dry pavement you'll feel the pulsing a little bit easier...(so I've found out the hard way)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts