Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -
I'm pretty sure the thermo or wax valve, warm-up valve or whatever it's officially called on my VG30 (1988 SE V6) is stuck or no longer functional. Truck starts fine, idles high when cold but doesn't lower once the engine is warmed up, etc. I've eliminated everything else it could be, I think. I removed the air filter housing and tried to push the little 'piston' on that warm-up valve in-and-out, but it doesn't budge. It's in the same position cold and warmed up. It sets against a little screw that's held in with a little nut. I'm talking about the valve directly on the front of the TB, up under the air filter housing. It's suppose to let the idle down once the engine is warm. Has anyone had any success in 'rebuilding' or fixing, or hell even LOCATING one of those? I plan on removing it today after work to see what's up.
Any help appreciated. I'd imagine the valve isn't the same as the one on the KA24E, I no longer have a truck with that engine so I can't compare the two.
Thanks all!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
AH! I scrolled down and it looks like USMCFbiker has the same problem and part that I'm having. I took a look at the jpeg from a Haynes (page 2 of the thread) and it shows the part I'm looking for. The thread also includes part numbers, etc. so I'm all set.

In other words, never mind but thanks anyway!:givebeer:

cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK one more thing.......

I removed the thermo valve, messed with it a little, and the piston moved in and out just fine. I put it all back together, warmed up the engine, and could look under the air filter intake and see that the piston WAS pushing out and pushing against the screw as the engine warmed up..........my question, and maybe a stupid one, is how FAR out does that piston have to go? It looks like it was out less than I'd say 1/4" ..... 1/2" at the most and the piston is much longer than that. I also screwed that little screw the piston pushes up against, IN really far and tightened down the nut. So is the piston not pushing out far enough to lower the idle where it needs to be? I can't possibly screw out the idle screw or throttle screw any further. The only way I'd know is to look at another thermo valve piston while the engine was warm, buy a new one and 'hope' that's it, or if somebody has seen a normal one working and could give me some idea. Any help appreciated! thanks!:fluffy:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, after I put the new one in and warmed it up, I realized that the new one comes out about 1", at least. Before that my old one only came out like a 1/4" to 1/2". And it finally fixed my idle, well I got it set now at like 700 rpm, so I should be good to go now. Final test comes the next cold day, because it was pretty warm here today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts