Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Happy July 4th!

Today I am planning to track down an oil leak. Is it the rear seal, or the drain plug?????

It is time to find out. The only way to do this is to clean off the bottom of the engine, start it up, climb under and wait for a drip:)

The truck has been parked outside for about 10 months, so I am not excited about bringing it into my clean garage:)

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,819 Posts
Well, if it's the drain plug, it won't be that difficult to tell. A common area of leaks is the rear main seal and rear main seal retainer gasket.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been under the passenger side of the truck for about 25 min. now, and there are no drips. It is idling in the garage, i'll check it again in a few.

Obviously, it does not leak much if it's not under a load.

Anyone know if the engine should idle at 1100 rpm? Off the top of my head, I am guessing it should be 900. Should I look for problems?

veesix

·
9,819 Posts
Rear engine leaks will generally leak more when driving as the oil is pushed toward the rear of the engine.

As far as the idle, should be 800 +/- 50 RPM for MT; 700 +/- 50 RPM for AT models (in "D"). There is an adjustment screw for the idle. Also check the ignition timing: 12 +/- 2 degrees BTDC and any obvious problems, like leaking vacuum hoses, etc.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it idled for a good amount of time.

No leak from the drain plug.

Very very slight drip from the rear seal area.

Stronger leak from the transmission case; from behind a rubber gasket, where the clutch piston works that lever (sticks out of rectangular hole in case.)

I was wondering if the slight leak from back of the engine, could be the same leak as the transmission leak.

·
9,819 Posts
Possible.....as the oil leaks from the rear main seal, it tends to get whipped around by the flywheel and thrown against the inside of the bellhousing. Be it the rear main seal or a front trans seal, either case would require removal of the trans. If going that far, it would be a good time to replace the clutch assy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts