Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -
I am replacing my O2 in the VG30 engine, and wanted to check and see if there's a generic 4-wire O2 sensor 'cheaper' than the OEM Nissan? I did this for my older Saabs...instead of the expensive Saab O2 sensors I got generic 2 wire and spliced. Works perfect!
If not I'll just get the Nissan one, but trying to save a few bucks before Christmas.
All help appreciated and good day - :)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi all -
I am replacing my O2 in the VG30 engine, and wanted to check and see if there's a generic 4-wire O2 sensor 'cheaper' than the OEM Nissan? I did this for my older Saabs...instead of the expensive Saab O2 sensors I got generic 2 wire and spliced. Works perfect!
If not I'll just get the Nissan one, but trying to save a few bucks before Christmas.
All help appreciated and good day - :)
Don't bother getting it from the dealer, they'll hose ya. Visit your local auto parts store and they should carry it. Ask for NGK or Bosch, either one is good, but then NGK is Japanese, Bosch is German.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I ended up getting it an Autozone and it took about 15 mins to remove the old and install the new. I also decided I would change the f-ing thermostat, and that thing took me forever. What a pain! I can't believe they'd put the thermostat in such a crappy place and that hard to get to. I used very extension and swivel that I had in my tool box, and I bought those to reach all 6 spark plugs, back when I did the first tune up on it HA I discovered it had the original thermostat still in it, stuck open, and the OD reads 220,000 miles. The 02 sensor also appeared to be original too. We'll see how it runs now and if I have some freakin heat!
Thanks again -
good evening

·
3,553 Posts
Has the timing belt ever been changed? Should be replaced every 60k miles for a 87-92 and 105k miles for a 93-99...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's about due now...I'll be doing that next and probably change out the mechanical fan and replace it with an electric at the same time. My fan clutch is seized. Something else, before I replaced the O2 sensor, the truck would start cold and idle very high until it warmed up, then the idle was 'near normal.
Now when I start it, the idle goes to around 700-750 and stays there when it's cold, and stays there once the engine is warmed up. Is this engine supposed to idle high when cold and lower down as the engine warms up?
Anyway thanks for the help and responses! Good day -

1 - 5 of 5 Posts