Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night i bought a 88 sentra from the original owner it drove great on the test drive, except that if i got on it it would stutter a little but keep accelerating then when i got on the highway it started stuttering real bad
if i let more then the weight of my foot on the gas it would cut out completely but not die. if i put it in neutral and reved it did the same not even letting me rev it up. i could only go 30 on the uphill and that was pushing it, i made it home and went to work in my other car. I drove it when i got home today and it reved up all the way in neutral and only stuttered a little i think if gets bad when it gets warmed up
i really need to get this car highway worthy and love it very much
any help would be appreciated greatly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok update
i got home from work and opened up the air box only to find that there was no filter inside
so i replaced the filter and read on here thanks everyone about the MAF and i pulled it out and cleaned it with MAF cleaner i got at shucks for 6.99. i took it out for a spin around the block and the high rpm studder is gone but it now stutters at low rpm i have no tach and the 1,6 single point fuel injection in my 88 sentra coupe 5spd

so my q is what speeds should i shift at? the exhaust is kinda loud so its hard to tell plus im used to having to shift early so it could be that
what speeds are good to shift at for daily driving?

·
Registered
56 Posts
It could be your throttle position sensor. Costs 81.99 at shucks, but it fixed my stuttering problem completely. I shift at about 3.5k-4k rpms. These motors are pretty strong and it is not bad for them what so ever to shift at high rpms.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The shucks parts are oem nissan brand also. And new.. and cheaper.. and no shipping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts