Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 88 sportbak with 49k miles, excellent shape but the wipers move past normal sweep arc sometimes and are noisy under cowling, also raining today for first time and leaking at top of windows, seals are soft and pliable is this normal for these to leak?

·
Registered
734 Posts
its normal for the age of the car for the t-tops to leak. as for the wipers, you can take the arm off and adjust them so they dont move too far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had the same problem in the past. Also found out that the new rubber isn't really affordable. But I did find a solution at least for a while. About twice a year I rub a small amount of petroleum jelly on all the weather striping. This seems to soften the rubber parts just a little bit more and stop my leaks at least for about six months at a time. Haven't had any adverse effects from this so I will continue to use this method until it works no more and I have to break down and buy the new rubber.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wipers

As for my wipers, the amount of excess stroke varies alot with speed, seems like there is slop in the linkage or mabe the motor transmission, some time they go too far over the pillar and some times hit the cowl and sometime work in correct sweep arc. This car did live in Ct. for a while when it was young and I understand that snow wreaks havoc on the wiper system. Down south we get primarily liquid and a lot of dust.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It seems to me that i had that very same issue once with my 85 sentra. The gears inside the wiper motor and tranny were nylon and after some abuse in the snow the worm gear on the motor stripped out the teeth on the drive gear. If you don't find the armature for the wipers to be worn out at the moving joints I would suspect the wiper motor. I ended up using the motor from a similar year pulsar, I think. its been a long time ago. I could be mistaken. You might just try to find one at a wreaking yard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts