Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 88 pathfinder has just had a new timing belt,water pump,plugs .wires.cap rotor.Has died out on me several times like it is not getting enough gas. runs good sometimes and then will hesitate really bad.Always the is black smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe when it starts acting up got me baffled.

·
Registered
10 Posts
tom434 said:
My 88 pathfinder has just had a new timing belt,water pump,plugs .wires.cap rotor.Has died out on me several times like it is not getting enough gas. runs good sometimes and then will hesitate really bad.Always the is black smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe when it starts acting up got me baffled.
Have you change out your fuel filter I had a similar problem ,chased it until I change out the fuel filter. It was clogged

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rmmix said:
Have you change out your fuel filter I had a similar problem ,chased it until I change out the fuel filter. It was clogged
yup filter is new

·
3,553 Posts
Try cleaning your O2 sensor. Remove it from the driver's side exhaust pipe, let it hang down and heat the tip with a propane torch(NOT MAPP gas or oxy-acetylene), until red-hot and the flame from the torch blows red behind the sensor. Let it cool a bit, then torch it again from a different angle until all carbon/etc deposits are cooked off. This really works and can be used to eliminate buying a new $135 oxygen sensor. Other than that, your EGR valve may need cleaning.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
88pathoffroad said:
Try cleaning your O2 sensor. Remove it from the driver's side exhaust pipe, let it hang down and heat the tip with a propane torch(NOT MAPP gas or oxy-acetylene), until red-hot and the flame from the torch blows red behind the sensor. Let it cool a bit, then torch it again from a different angle until all carbon/etc deposits are cooked off. This really works and can be used to eliminate buying a new $135 oxygen sensor. Other than that, your EGR valve may need cleaning.
The egr is behind the tbi correct?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
88pathoffroad said:
If you have a layout of the engine compartment it would be truley appreciated as to familierize myself with what is what under the hood :thumbup:

·
3,553 Posts
Go buy a Chilton's manual, man. $15 later and you'll have your layout diagram complete with labels.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
88pathoffroad said:
Go buy a Chilton's manual, man. $15 later and you'll have your layout diagram complete with labels.
Thanks that should have come to me right off thanks for the info 88 :cheers:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
K&N filters

I picked up a k&n filter for my 88 pathfinder today.I hope it has the same positive effect it had with my 87 aerostar! :hal:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
running great

tom434 said:
I picked up a k&n filter for my 88 pathfinder today.I hope it has the same positive effect it had with my 87 aerostar! :hal:
Replaced all of the vaccum hoses which seemed to be the problem fouled out the plugs had to replace them as well ever here of mighty max platinum plugs? :cheers:

·
3,553 Posts
NGK plugs work best. Platinum plugs don't help on this engine. I've tried them, other people have tried them, and the good old cheap NGK's work best.

·
g33k/gamer/QR nerd
445 Posts
88pathoffroad said:
NGK plugs work best. Platinum plugs don't help on this engine. I've tried them, other people have tried them, and the good old cheap NGK's work best.
Agreed.. and this is just for nissans across the board, not just the pathfinder

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

:banana:
Jarek said:
Agreed.. and this is just for nissans across the board, not just the pathfinder

Appreciate the info sometimes you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts