Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
spent 20 minutes searching the forum and didn't find any problem quite like mine...

Ok, so I need some help before I sledge this thing to hell. I have an 88 Pathfinder V6 automatic 4x4 (not full-time). It's not in perfect shape, but I like it. Now, It's just been sitting in my driveway for about 10 months.

My dad and I rebuilt the motor after the heads cracked. After we did that it ran great. Had no problems. Was fine for a couple weeks. Then, my dad drove it to the store (no problems), went inside, came out, tried to crank it, started up, put it in gear and then found out that it had NO power in gear. Once you put it into gear it bogs down and when you give it gas it will inch forward a bit, but if you give it too much gas it will cut off. It almost sounds like it's in it's highest gear and you're trying to drive at 1mph so it cuts off. It doesn't have enough power to drive up the very slight hill of my driveway without stalling 2 or 3 times.

I put in a new fuel pump and filter, didn't fix it. I can turn it on and it will idle great. Can rev it with no problems, but the second you put it into drive or reverse it bogs down.

I've got my bike and that's my primary means of transportation, but it's gonna start raining a lot again and it would be nice to have something else so I don't leave my wife and son stranded all day when I have class and have to take our family car.

There is one other thing... there is a large canister that has a bunch of vacuum hoses plugged into it. Well, there's SUPPOSED to be a large canister. It deteriorated into rusted dust way back. But it ran with no problems for months without it. Really don't want to have to find a new one (300 bucks new or you can find a nice rusted one in the junkyard).

I've checked fuses and all the basic things. This issue just floors me because there was no warning at all. It was running great and 5 minutes later it wasn't.

PLEASE Please please... if you have any ideas, please let me know.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Blows my mind too...Any SES lights on? Maybe major clog in catalytic converter? But it seems like it wouldn't rev in park if that was the case. Don't give up on it just yet..There are a lot of smart nissan techs on here that probably have seen this problem before and can help you out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully someone will know what's going on. I'll have to check if the SES lights come on or not. I don't think they were, but I need a new battery now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No SES lights are on. Idles just fine. But still has no power in gear. Barely enough power to pull it into my driveway on a sleight incline.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
75 Posts
a plugged cat could be the problem

but that canister you were taking about, thats part of the EVAP system isn't it?

if that is gone wouldn;t you have a ton of vacuum leaks ?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
sounds like a plugged cat conv. thought it would have been the lockup t/converter for the tranny, but your problem is in rev. as well. have some one place a sheet of paper by the tailpipe and rev it, see if there is any force other than whats at idle. this will tell you if the cat conv. is clogged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wouldn't the ability to rev fine in neutral/park be an indication that the cat isn't clogged?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts