Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched all over this site and couldnt find what i was looking for. So could somone give me some advice. I have an 88 b12 with the e16i and I found a ga16i that looked like it was in the same mounts as mine. I am trying to swap these engines with out any fabrications, just bolt up. Is that possible? Thanks for any help guys!

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
You will have to swap out your computer and fuel system. Its sort of a hassle to do. If I were you...get a GA16DE because you can put more mods on it more than you could a GA16i. Also...parts will be more expensive than a e16i. You will also have to swap out trannys. You are looking into an expensive project ahead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the ga16de would be just as easy to swap as the ga16i? And I would have to get a new tranny no matter which one I do?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
heck ya the ga16de engine is more reliable and extremely comon, lots of performance parts out there for them u can probebly go from your 70 hp to a easy 130 with a few mods on the ga16de, just imagien yer car moves pretty good now imagine with twice the hp oOoOooO ahHhHhHh the thought of that makes me wanna do it myself

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
actually i know of only 1 that did it (not to comfuse with some peeps that use the ecu and wiring for they're e-serie)... the hardess part would still be the wiring.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
for a ga16de? millions of them around here in ct i can probebly pick up a engine and tranny for around... 5 or 6 hundred including all the goodies i want but.... every area is different

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where would you be able to find this. as in a place i might be able to also look down here in Phoenix AZ?

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
I can probly go to a junkyard and get one for about 800. Either way...it costs too much (for me anyways). If you are gonna get a GA16DE, you should go ahead and look for a SR20DE. You can make those engines do some freaky shit if you tried lol.

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
for drop in performance, a SR20 ain't happening, though. Motor mounts aren't in the same place, so the SR20DE is a hell of a lot more work to fit in our B12s. Do the GA16DE thing and update us swap-whore-wannabes.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
yea the best thing possible to do is a ca18det but thats also a lot of hassel and a lot more money , id stick with teh ga16de , im gonna end up doin it myself this summer probebly when i have my 91 se-r on the road

·
Registered
23 Posts
i've got an 88 pulsar w/ an e16i in it and was looking into dropping a ca18det into it. would i be better off trying the ga route?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
theres ca18des around that infact came in pulsars im pretty sure, but turbocharging anything makes it more complicated. the ga16de is the perfect cheap and effective upgrade in my opinion for any b12, opens many options to performance parts and starts u off with over a hundred hp which is awsome already for such a light little car, if its in as ruff condition as my sentra no one would know what hit'm if i had a ga16de swapped in

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Ha I learned something new today. So it takes lots of modding to throw in a SR20 into a b12.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah that was my first plan....then i realized all the crap in it and time...not to mention money. so now, according to what everyone is saying, if i can find a ga16de here some where that i can get with everything else i am looking for thats what i will do. thanks for all your help guys!

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
the member classifieds on this site would be a great place to start looking. I am sure I recently saw a B13 (GA16DE) engine wiring harness and ECU on there. Not to mention a lot of other GA16DE parts. :cheers:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Slacky said:
theres ca18des around that infact came in pulsars im pretty sure, but turbocharging anything makes it more complicated. the ga16de is the perfect cheap and effective upgrade in my opinion for any b12, opens many options to performance parts and starts u off with over a hundred hp which is awsome already for such a light little car, if its in as ruff condition as my sentra no one would know what hit'm if i had a ga16de swapped in

But a 87-89 pulsar is a kn13 I thought, so would require less mods for a CA18DET. Couldn't I get a jdm pulsar ca18det harnessanyway?

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
is there a difference in wiring between turbocharged and non-turbocharged harnesses? I wouldn't think so.

So anyways, I'm still thinking of swapping my i intake for an E intake. I need to review what ECU components actually are on the E intake. Lets see:

FICD
MAF
Throttle body
4 injectors (as opposed to 1)

Wiring is a lot more complicated, but I'm still looking into it. Please pass down your 2 cents, thanks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts