Nissan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know much about this car, but i got a good deal on it for my winter car. its a 1.6L, 5spd, 2bl carbed, sentra. you can click the link in my sig for a pic. can anyone tell me any info for things to look at or to be aware of that are common issues with these cars?

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
timing belt replacment. Also they have a tendency to loose fifth gear but I would say over all they are good cars and should give you little headache. Mine has 205,000 miles on it and its a E16i 5spd. Yours is a E16(s) the s stands for standard/carbed. I get 35+ mpg in my sport coupe so good luck with it. Oh yeah change all the fluids this might help the tranny and if you see a bad mount replace it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its a nice car, and just about everything works. it does have a high idle though for the first 10-15 minutes of driving, then it seems to settle down. my altima is much easier for me to work on. and i already dont have 5th gear. i guess i get to suffer from 5th gear pop out like so many of the B13 and B14s.

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
No fifth already well that sucks but I still got 30mpg in fourth and it just sounded like a hive of bees under my hood.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mine's been pretty darn good . 1987 carbeurated 5 speed. .bought it with 143k on it . . .had the door problem (I used bailing wire to hold stuff together !) . The starter went out ($100 with lifetime warranty) . then it went out again , but the second time it was free , and hasn't caused any problems since (starts right up every time). the starter is really easy to get to , it takes about 20 mins to do yourself. . . I think in hot weather (I'm in arizona) the seals on the windows tend to shrink up , then the windows leak (i used form a gasket. . .I've seen people use silicone) . . . other than that , just regular maintainence . . brakes , timing belt . .going to need cv axles and motor mounts- the usual front wheel drive compact import stuff. 2 years later ,I'm up to 181k , it's still running like a trooper. I call it my "little red warrior" .It's a very worthwile car for the money.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we wont even get too deep into the starter. the person who owned this before the person I bought it off of, did some weird stuff. from what i can tell, it seems that the original starter had a bad solenoid. so he wired in a seperate solinoid for something else. so to start the car, I do the norm. turn key, press clutch...and that is where the norm stops. there is a lil box with 2 buttons. I have to hold one, and the press the other for the starter to engage. it wont work of turning the key. but if you dont hold and press the buttons in the correct order, you will damage the starter. its really weird. but it works

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine goes through about one muffler a year, but I live in WI where they rust to pieces. Luckily, the mufflers are pretty easy to change, and I had gotten a lifetime one, so they are mostly free.

Things to check when you have the time, depending again what climate you're in:
little vacuum hoses for split ends
rubber boot that goes around the shift rod on the back of the transmission (cracked or open)
Oil the door hinges on the driver side regularly or it will start to sag.
Mine goes through a radiator about every 3-4 years, but they are only $40 at the junkyard and take only 1.5 hours to change.
In general the maintenance and repairs are pretty inexpensive and don't take that long. I use mine for commuting and trips and general beating-on in the wintertime and have been inpressed with how things hold up and how relatively easy it is to work on, compared to my friends' newer cars. I think it is doing far better than an average american car of the same age.

·
Registered
5 Posts
87 4 door hatchback 1.6 sohc 5spd

its my moms and i just tool it around when i need to( fixing up a gmc jimmy/ general motors forever! ) and im gonna have to get some new cv axels soon anyone know what that run them recently? alternater needed rebuild, bought at 202k with rebuild engine runs great, high idle at start give it alittle snap and that goes away , who knows maybe dirt in the cable even hahaha can't figure it out, had a problem with not gettin in reverse easily so i just adjusted the clutch ummm , driverside window kit, the latch for the door is screwed u gotta relaly flick it to get it open , ( i was in there bending around the guide wire) havn't done nothing too serious im only 17 and my moms a wuss, pretty good car might get all new suspension and buy it from her , kinda sluggish but just shift slowly and it keeps up with traffic, whats a pair of new rear shocks gonna cost?? gotta get those too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts