Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
My Lil' Red Wagon
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, my 87 pathy with a brand new 3.0 floods itself out when i start it, unless i crack the throttle a little....as long as i crack the throttle it starts fine, but if i try to start it without opening the throttle it wont even try to fire...then i have to hold the pedal to the floor and crank and crank and crank until it will start sputtering and blowing black smoke everywhere...then after it clears out it runs just fine.....like i said, the motor is brand new (3500 miles new anyways), but when i bought the longblock i transferred all the old parts over to it...my old motor never did this at all...even in cold weather i never had to touch the gas to start it, with fuel injection you shouldnt have to touch the pedal at all....anyone have any ideas???

·
Registered
307 Posts
Possible throttle position sensor?.The coolant temperature sensor would explain the flooding, and black smoke, but wouldn't have anything to do with you having to smash the pedal to get her to fire up. That's what brings me back to the TPS. Also check the vacuum on your EGR valve and make sure the valve isn't sticking..Hope this helps..HJK.

·
My Lil' Red Wagon
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm. EGR, thats a good idea, i didnt really like the look of the old one when i put it on the new motor, but i was already $3,500 into this thing when i put the motor in and i couldnt afford anymore parts at the time....ill probably start with that and go to the TPS next...i THINK i replaced the temp sensor, i know i bought one, ill see if i still have it, but my guage reads right so i thinks its ok....i think the reason i have to have it at WOT to start is because most computers automatically cut off the fuel when at WOT because of a flooding situation, at least thats what ive read....thanks for the input....

·
My Lil' Red Wagon
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its doing it again.....if i dont hold the pedal halfway down when i start it it floods out within the first 5 turns of the motor..when it does it i either have to leave it sit for a couple hours, or crank and crank with the pedal to the floor till it kicks out the raw fuel and sputters to life....after it gets cleared out it runs great, the only problem is on startup....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having the same thing occur with my '87, except it only happens when attempting to start after it has been run then turned off for 20 minutes or so. At this time I am trying to determine if what I suspect, is flooding occurred after the engine was shut of. What I am musing with is the notion that seals on the original injectors have a slow leak, although I do not have an error code indicating that is occurring, or even sure there is sufficient pressure in the fuel line, or fuel to cause this to happen.

I have checked all the usual things, so I'm now just shooting in the dark...

·
My Lil' Red Wagon
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im having issues with the connections on the MAF (MAP?) sensor, the one on the driverside of the throttlebody. there was a bunch of corrosion when i looked today, and when the motor was idleing i could kill it by wiggling those wires...so i cleaned the connection and we will see what happens, so far it hasnt flooded on startup and i havent been using the gas pedal at all like i had to before...maybe this will be an easy fix....

:woowoo:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having the same thing occur with my '87, except it only happens when attempting to start after it has been run then turned off for 20 minutes or so. At this time I am trying to determine if what I suspect, is flooding occurred after the engine was shut of. What I am musing with is the notion that seals on the original injectors have a slow leak, although I do not have an error code indicating that is occurring, or even sure there is sufficient pressure in the fuel line, or fuel to cause this to happen.

I have checked all the usual things, so I'm now just shooting in the dark...
All problems resolved with the installation of a new coil.

·
My Lil' Red Wagon
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the main problem with fuel injected motors is, one symptom could be a hundred different problems..isnt it crazy that we had almost the exact same problem, but we each cured the problem in a completely different way...glad to hear you got urs fixed too..a few weeks later and i still havent had a flooding issue...

:woowoo: :idhitit: :givebeer:

·
Registered
40 Posts
i have an 89 d21 king cab and it floods on start up as well makes me sad. i have put and after market temp sensor where the original one goes and thats about when it started happening so i plugged the original temp sensor in and grounded it and it started fine after that

·
Registered
40 Posts
all right i believe i have found the problem. i believed the solution i told you later failed on me, leavening me at a gas station cranking and cranking. so i did some more research and found that my ecu was bringing up the code 11 crank angle sensor. the book shows that the connection for it to be by the oil filler cap but that must be for mpfi because my 89 tbi has a mildly different connection but after a while of searching i found it right behind the distributer cap and it is a 4 wire connection so i did as the Haynes Manuel said tested wire A and D and found that there was no problem but i did take the time to polish the pigtails innermost to get the corrosion off and since that my truck has started fine so i would suggest trying it a least

·
My Lil' Red Wagon
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mine is still working good after cleaning the connectors...every now and then it misses a bit so i gotta wiggle the connector....i wish there was a way to buy NEW pigtail connectors for these pathfinders...

·
My Lil' Red Wagon
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my problem returned worse than before...same symptoms, only worse...its stalled in traffic a few times on me now, makes me want to light it on fire...since my last post ive found a different cleaner pigtail for the MAF at salvage, no change...i think the MAF has a loose electrical connection inside of it...guess ill have to bit the bullet and buy a new one...anyone want to buy an 87 with only 35,000 miles on the nissan built motor??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts