Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my 1987 pathfinder with 3.0 v6.

It runs bad, when I try to drive it it acts alot like a bad Catalytic Converter. No power unless you hold it to the floor then it will sort of go down the road.
And it does not seem like a Bad Miss when you try to drive it, just seems like it is not getting enough of something.

The ECU test (Thanks for the how to guide sticky, it was a great help) tripped 4 codes.

12 Air Flow Meter/Mass Air Flow Sensor

45 Injector Leak

51 Injector Circuit

53 Oxygen Sensor

I get some popping in the exhaust when you rev it up. But the PO has put headers on it. It almost looks as if the TB has or is leaking around the middle of it. (Sorry I suck at trying to describe.) But like I said above it is gutless just like a plugged Catalytic Converter except it doesn't have one.

The reason I post this is in hope of some clarification as to what exactly the problem could be. That Air Flow Meter is like 300 bucks and I was told that I could not just swap one from a Junk yard. How ever a bad injector I could!

I don't want to play 300.00 dollar guessing games lol.

·
3,553 Posts
I don't know why you couldn't swap in a junkyard MAF if you can find a good one. The MAF will cause terrible problems if it's broken or defective...just like you describe. Sometimes multiple error codes can be brought on by one base problem.

You can get a rebuilt MAF from RockAuto.com for $170 plus a $40 core...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Air Flow meter on the side of the TB to my understanding had to be matched to the Vin. I could be wrong but that was how it sounded by the parts man.

I swapped it out for a junk yard one this afternoon for grins, and noticed NO change in the way it was running. It acts like it will rev fine but has no power when driving.

So if the air flow meter (Mass Air flow sensor more or less) is interchangable and I put a known good one on. No change in the way the truck runs, could I have a injector not pulsing right or is it possible the O2 sensor could cause the gutlessness of my poor Pathy? The codes are still the same after a reset and checking them again with the new/used Air flow meter.

The one I got from the junk yard came from a rolled Pathfinder. The truck still ran fairly good. I also yanked the injectors (Well the whole damn TB).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok...

It's not the AFM or the injectors

If there was a catalytic converter on it I would be certain that was the problem... But there is not one.

Could the O2 senser make it run with no power? Hold it to the floor and you might move down the road. I was certain the AFM was it. But I know for fact the one I put on was a known good one.

·
3,553 Posts
Try unplugging the O2 sensor to see if it changes any. The plug is on the passenger's side fenderwell. Sometimes it does cause problems as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok

I've went through the TB and replaced both injectors with new ones. (I did not pay for them, sort of fell into a lucky deal)

Replaced the AFM with a known good one.

Replaced the O2 sensor (For grins)

Now I am tripping a code
23 Idle Switch
45 Injector Leak

The Pathfinder runs far better then it ever has after the changes I made but it still does not run right.

It is more or less drivable now, but seems like it is not getting enough fuel or something. If I step down at a slow pace on the throttle it will slowly pull but if I mash it down it is almost like I am taking the fuel away from it. I have changed the Fuel filter under the hood. Is there a pressure regulator and would that cause any problems? Also there is some mild popping in the exhaust. Could this all be a timing issue?

Also I keep reading that the green light will flash X times then the red x times. My ECU Flashes both lights at the same time to give me the codes.

Reason I brought that up is because it would be my luck that would be a secret code for your ECU is hosed....

Any Ideas on the above?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone???

Been a lot of views and no replies

Hope someone here can help because I am stumped. :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts