Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, first of all, im new, and to mention, im a ford guy, but was gave a 87 nissan pathfinder, ok, heres how it went lol... ok, the battery was dead, so i used another battery to crank it, got it started and pulled the battery out, (while it was running), put the old battery back in, to let it charge, put the negetive cable on, then went to hook up the positive, and as soon as i touched the positive to the battery, it shut off, well, after that, no spark, heres what ive changed, the coil, ignition control module, crank angle sensor/pick up coil, but i still have no spark, ive come to think to the computer went bad, so i just ordered on off of ebay about 30 minutes ago, any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
to update, i believe the computer is bad, tried running the diagnostics mode on it, and i cant get the red or green lights to blink no matter what i do, so i ordered a used computer off of ebay, just to ask a simple question, is there maybe so kind of fuse somewhere for this computer?..besides the fuse links at the battery?

·
Registered
215 Posts
i would get the vin number from the car the ecu is coming from i looked on my parts list and there is 46 different ecus that fit on your pathfinder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx, but it wouldnt really make a difference as long as there both v6's and both automatic trannys? the only difference between the 2, are the years, mine is a 87, and the computer i bought is out of a 88, but i did some research, and 87 thru 89 are compatible, i mean, i dont really know to much about foreign vehicles, i am getting the hint that they are fragile..lol

·
Registered
215 Posts
there are two v6 motors vg30e and vg30i and 6 different auto transmissions. im looking at the parts data base and the odds of the computer matching are not good. im trying to look out for you. not to mention 4wd and 2wd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i appreciate it, but i do know mine has the vg30i, not really sure what was in the other the computer came from, but, in a way, i think my problem is a fuse or really somewhere thats bad, everythings working, butim still not getting any fire, not to mention i cant get the red and green lights on the computer to even blink once for me, i actually need some kind of diagram for the wiring for the whole ignition circuit, all the book says is that the ignition circuit doesnt have a fuse, or relay, it just has fusible links everywhere, but i changed the ones at the battery, of course i used regular fuse links (blade type fuses) with 30 amp fuses

·
3,553 Posts
Since when are there 6 different auto trannies for WD21's? The only ones I've ever seen are the 3-speed that came in some 87's and the 4-speed that comes in the 88-95's. Please provide references for your answer? Otherwise I call BULLSHIT. ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Since when are there 6 different auto trannies for WD21's? The only ones I've ever seen are the 3-speed that came in some 87's and the 4-speed that comes in the 88-95's. Please provide references for your answer? Otherwise I call BULLSHIT. ;)
if you would like to come down to my dealership i can show you im in cerritos nissan, ca. all im trying to do is help this guy. i dont want him to buy a ecu that has a possibility that it might not work. and if you want to call bull shit so be it. the differences are production months on the transmissions.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
so did you hooked up the other battery (the one that started it) after it died did you have interior lights and such. unfortunately this might be a lesson learned. you can not swap batteries with the veh. running in newer vehicles. too many electronics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, sorry for not updating, been busy with work and all, i found the problem, it was the computer, and the one i ordered off of ebay was the right one, all i have to do is set the timing, and im good to go!

·
3,553 Posts
if you would like to come down to my dealership i can show you im in cerritos nissan, ca. all im trying to do is help this guy. i dont want him to buy a ecu that has a possibility that it might not work. and if you want to call bull shit so be it. the differences are production months on the transmissions.
I concede your point. Are there any real differences to differentiate each revision or are they just different due to production date?

My point was, there were two basic auto transmissions used and from what I've seen the RE4R01A only had one change from 88-95: in 92-93 or so they went with the electronic speedo instead of the cable-driven one. People have successfully transplanted the speedo unit on both newer and older transmissions and had them work fine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
there is re4r01a, e4n71b, and l3n71b 2 different 4speeds 1 3speed. one 4 speed is 3 with o/d 4

1 - 12 of 12 Posts