Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I just posted yesterday about compatibility things, but with my luck that car was sold earlier this week

There is a local dealer that my wife knows the owners wife, etc. He has a pretty nice 87 Pulsar, but its a E16/Auto. I don't mind having an automatic, but with the 70hp E16, I'm wondering if its going to be a real dog and be a PITA in traffic. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow. He said he was asking $800 but would be open to offers. The body is super-straight, the interior looked OK when I looked at it at dusk, and there is only one quarter-sized rust spot that I could find.

Also, how good are the auto trannys in these cars? Most econobox autos seem to go to crap after a few years and this thing is 18yo so that has me a bit concerned.

So basically, my 3 questions are:

1. Is this car going to be painfully slow in traffic?
2. How well do the auto trannys hold up in these cars?
3. How well does the E16 respond to mods (cam, header, etc.)?
4. How hard is a auto-manual swap if I do it down the road?

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
the auto manual swap if fairly easy. you can look up with the search to find a thread i made about it about 2 or 3 years ago... the swap indication are mostly complete with all parts needed. the auto tranny when i had one was fairly good, shifting point is also pretty good... but to run it as economicaly as possible is wont let you feel sporty !! loll... anyways, if its been treated right all its life, you shouldnt have any problem... i guess that as soon as youll start beating it, it will use up pretty fast ...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crazy-Mart said:
the auto manual swap if fairly easy. you can look up with the search to find a thread i made about it about 2 or 3 years ago... the swap indication are mostly complete with all parts needed. the auto tranny when i had one was fairly good, shifting point is also pretty good... but to run it as economicaly as possible is wont let you feel sporty !! loll... anyways, if its been treated right all its life, you shouldnt have any problem... i guess that as soon as youll start beating it, it will use up pretty fast ...
Also, are the 87 Pulsars FI or carb?

Are there any "off the shelf" performance parts still available? Header, cam, or anything else? I can do the K&N and flipped lid thing with the air cleaner right?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
personally i wouldnt get it, unless u havea drag car i would get a 5 speed and for 800 pft.. i got one for 50 bucks once in AWSOME condition along with a 5 speed 88 for 300 but only because it had a bunch of new parts on it

·
Registered
193 Posts
An e16 in an 87 Pulsar is going to be slow. That engine is slow as it is in the light first generation Pulsar. The 87 model is considerably heavier. I wouldn't want an E engine in a second gen model. But I guess if you want a cheap "get around" car you'll be fine.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
winstonsmith said:
An e16 in an 87 Pulsar is going to be slow. That engine is slow as it is in the light first generation Pulsar. The 87 model is considerably heavier. I wouldn't want an E engine in a second gen model. But I guess if you want a cheap "get around" car you'll be fine.
Its not going to be a race car of any sort, I just want something that can flow with traffic. Back in the early 90s my parents used to have a '91 Metro they drove back and forth to work. It was annoyingly slow and pissed off anyone stuck behind it. I don't want something like that.

Although, its main purpose is to keep this out of the snow:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
winstonsmith said:
Nice! That's what my Pulsar is for...keeping this out of the snow!

There are few "vintage" Japanese cars that I like and that is one of them! Nice! I'd love to have a nice Z car or a 510, but they are pretty rare in nice condition around here.

·
Viva el iPod
1,232 Posts
If its a commuter car, you'll be fine. Sounds like you can get a good deal on it. Personally, I'd say don't bother with any kind of performance modifications (ha, gasp, he did not just say that did he?) to the engine. Keep it well-maintained and buy decent rubber and you should be fine, again if its a just a commuter car.

Not much "off-the-shelf" unless you mean you have tools and materials to fabricate parts "on-the-shelf." There's a few things, search around, you'll see them.

·
Doug "The Shoe"
852 Posts
nickthegenius said:
1. Is this car going to be painfully slow in traffic?
2. How well do the auto trannys hold up in these cars?
3. How well does the E16 respond to mods (cam, header, etc.)?
4. How hard is a auto-manual swap if I do it down the road?
1 - No. My 87 3 speed was able to keep up with traffic even up to 75 mph. The engine just gets loud after 3k RPM in 3rd. About 60mph. But she is very slow off the line, you will not be able to burn rubber on dry pavement. :)
2 - I think these trannies are supposed to be bullet proof, and besides rough shifts when cold my car had no trouble for the 2 years I had it.
3 - I'm not sure, but from what I've heard these engines take a lot of modding to get much more power out of them.
4 - I don't think these cars are overly complicated, it should be a relatively easy process.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i have an 87 pulsar with a e16i in it and its great in traffic. i get decent accel and top speed(ive gotten up to 165 km/h in it). it may not lay down the rubber, but i have no problem gettin some chirp outta the tires. mines a 5 speed though not an auto, and i rebuilt my engine 4000 km ago.they are great lil cars for the price that it costs to pick one up.

take care of it and you shouldnt have any probs

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
yea i even got third to chirp till it went away... so i had a custom 4 speed with a overdrive or atleast thats how i looked at it so i didnt feel bad , if its gonna be a comuter cart in the winter i deff suggest finding a pair of stock se-r rims cus the stock 13s just dont like to grip unless u got real good rubber that and the se-r rims look prettu good on my car plus its silver so they match

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
nickthegenius said:
Also, are the 87 Pulsars FI or carb?

Are there any "off the shelf" performance parts still available? Header, cam, or anything else? I can do the K&N and flipped lid thing with the air cleaner right?
The easies way to tell if it's carbed or injected is look under the hood at the top of the air filter housing, one wingnut=carbed, two=injected.
There are several things you can do in the way of performance upgrades, less restrictive intake(there are a few ways of doing this), open up the exhaust some(there's a pacestter header available for the E16), keep the engine tuned up, and if you feel like messing with it-weight reduction.

·
Moved on...Ciao!
629 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the auto tranny: My ex's '87 sentra wagon has the RL3F01A with converter lock-up and I just gave a bud of mine an '85 Sentra coupe with the non-lockup RL3F01A, and both auto trannies are not only strong, but have good get-up-and-go. I wouldn't sweat it...unless the car in question has a tranny in question, e.g. noises, slip, etc.

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
I had a 82 E15 3spd auto and it was a snail it would do 65 constant down teh hiway without upsetting the hampsters under the hood to much. but it was flawless in operation. No complaints got 33 mpg @ 65 mph with the A/C on and the family in the car. But don't drag a three legged dog or you may loose :) .

·
Moved on...Ciao!
629 Posts
mille-16i said:
I had a 82 E15 3spd auto and it was a snail; it would do 65 constant...with the A/C on and the family in the car.
Hmmmm...All the Sentras I know of never had an auto tranny until '85; Must've been a retrofit. And with the family in the car, I can see the limited mph. The cold, hard fact is that in order to operate efficiently, automatics need torque from the engine, and the earlier 4-bangers weren't big for torque. But: It worked out somehow. Mel can keep up with me off the line in her auto Sentra wagon and me in my stick Pulsar, but I can top her out, leaving her in dust, top-speedwise. That's the price you gotta pay for the slush-pump.

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
I do not beleive it to be a retrofit the pamphlet I got with the car (the original one from 82) showed it as a option on the deluxe model my 82 was the cream of the crop minus a few details. and even by myself it was a dog constant but no good off the line. My 87 with a 5spd can blow its doors off even if I start it in second.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts