Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's an 87 2wd d21 2.4. Half the time it turns over and doesn't start. Normally if you turn the ignition slowly you will hear air or vacuum sounds and then it fires up. When it doesn't make the air sound it doesn't start. I have changed the fuel pump and the fuel relay. I have interchanged the other relays and the fuel filter only has 13k on it. Ideas?

·
Registered
120 Posts
could be plugs, wires, distributor, vacuum leak. a few things. Read the the second post on this HB forum, it shows how to read the codes. See what codes its holding, thats the first place id start

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rotor and cap have less than 3k on them and the wires and plugs are in good shape. There is no engine light on. I feel because of the lack of the normal air sounds, it is vacuum or electrical related.

·
Registered
120 Posts
engine light doesnt have to be on for you to have codes, its not an emissions/OBD2 vehicle

·
Registered
85 Posts
CEL does NOT have to be on to read the codes. go ahead and read the codes. and tell us what you got. good luck!!

·
Hardbody Freak
2,680 Posts
that is not air ..it is the fuel pump charging the tbi..

clean and service the fusible links.

check the relay for corroison..

check the service loop of the tbi for breaks in the wires...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, it's probably a poor connection. It will start fine with the added power of a jump. The battery is brand new. I suppose I will be cleaning every contact in the thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts