Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to this forum but have been driving an 86 truck for the last couple years, it has about 130k miles on it and has recently been having the ever popular squealing problem. I have read a bunch of threads about this problem but can't quite get it still. I have an 86, 4 wheel drive, 4 cyl with NO AC. I have been having a problem with squealing that occurs about every other time I start the truck and lasts for a few seconds, but my real concern is that it happens every time right after I shift into fifth gear. It grabs so hard I can actually feel a small buck right after shifting into fifth. Once my rpms are up to about 3000 (a little over 65 mph) in 5th it usually stops.

I have two V-belts, one runs the power steering and one goes from the fan to the crank to the alternator. I removed the power steering belt and it still occurs so it must be one of the three remaining pulleys or the belt itself. I do not know how to change the tension on this belt but it seems fairly close to correct. So I guess I just need to know the logical next step. I would guess that I need to remove or losen the alt, and check its pulley and the belt, then go from there? Would you reccomend just replacing the belt before trying anything else? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Zane. I did check the belt and it is very shiny and slick. I know I need to replace it, but I'm fairly sure I replaced it about 2 years ago, so there must be another problem going on here. I guess for a temp fix I'll replace it and while its off I'll see if there are obvious bearing/pulley problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the belt off, scraped most of the gunk(which there was an amazing amount of) off the fan pulley then just put the same belt back on and tightened it pretty snug. The belt didn't look too bad when I took it off. It doesn't squeal on startup, but it still does a bit shifting into fifth gear. I found that I can avoid the squealing if I just shift to fifth at about 3500 rpms instead of the usual 3000. I may replace the belt and scrape all the gunk off, but not tonight. Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts