Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have information on how to set the timing marks, crank to cam alignment or crank to flange and cam to flange? Timing belt failed (stripped off 10 or so inches of belt cogs so not sure if this engine would allow for valve/piston contact. I am getting a manual but it looks like it'll take a week to get here.

Thanks
Marcel
<><

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
those are interference engine... i wouldnt bother getting a new timing belt as you probably (surely) have a few bent valves... anyway to do it without headache, you simply get the rocker off the head, so all valve are close and turn cam/crank at ease than put them back on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interference = smack and bang?

Crazy-Mart said:
those are interference engine... i wouldnt bother getting a new timing belt as you probably (surely) have a few bent valves... anyway to do it without headache, you simply get the rocker off the head, so all valve are close and turn cam/crank at ease than put them back on.
I guess what you're telling me is to pull the head and survey the damage, I was hoping there was a remote possibility that it would require just a timing belt. Wishful thinking? So let's say I have no bent valves or piston damage, do I align the cam mark to the crank mark and call it good or what?

Marcel
<><

·
Registered
109 Posts
yeah, same thing happened to me a while back...the timing belt slipped and toasted my head. Took me forever to figure out why i had no compression when the timing belt was spinning. i opened the engine up and 4 of my valves were completely toast....so i drilled a hole in one and now it's my keychain :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
copperlite said:
yeah, same thing happened to me a while back...the timing belt slipped and toasted my head. Took me forever to figure out why i had no compression when the timing belt was spinning. i opened the engine up and 4 of my valves were completely toast....so i drilled a hole in one and now it's my keychain :)
As i remember...you align to cam by matching the dot on the gear to the dot on the flange behind it and the crank is the same way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
copperlite said:
As i remember...you align to cam by matching the dot on the gear to the dot on the flange behind it and the crank is the same way.
Thanks for that, I suspected the flange marks served a purpose. I'll tear into the engine on the weekend and see what I've got to deal with. Does it seem reasonable to replace just the valves or is it likely the head is finished? I guess I'll see when I see. It's neat to be able to get help this way. Should anyone need some parts for a 86 Pulsar NX perhaps I can help out.

Marcel
<><

·
Registered
109 Posts
Marcel said:
Thanks for that, I suspected the flange marks served a purpose. I'll tear into the engine on the weekend and see what I've got to deal with. Does it seem reasonable to replace just the valves or is it likely the head is finished? I guess I'll see when I see. It's neat to be able to get help this way. Should anyone need some parts for a 86 Pulsar NX perhaps I can help out.

Marcel
<><
well...when my belt slipped, i already had a leakey headgasket and coolant was pouring into the cylinders. My piston tops were a little marred up, but i wasn't about to rebuild the bottom end so i replaced the whole head from a pick-and-pull. It's hard to tell without seeing your car...but i could have just replaced the bent valves , if my head wasn't already warped. Tell us how it goes!

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you end up not fixing the car there are a few parts I might buy from you. What's your interior color scheme? I've been looking for some door arm rests that aren't ripped or cracked. I also need the plastic trim piece that is stuck to the top of the rear driver side window. Mine fell off years ago and I've never been able to find another one. I may need other stuff too but I can't think off what that stuff may be at the moment. Where are you located anyway?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
winstonsmith said:
If you end up not fixing the car there are a few parts I might buy from you. What's your interior color scheme? I've been looking for some door arm rests that aren't ripped or cracked. I also need the plastic trim piece that is stuck to the top of the rear driver side window. Mine fell off years ago and I've never been able to find another one. I may need other stuff too but I can't think off what that stuff may be at the moment. Where are you located anyway?
We weren't able to work on the car over the weekend but we hope to pull the head off tonight. We have a red 1986 pulsar nx with grey interior as well as a grey 1986 pulsar nx with a grey interior. I have an extra head which is supposed to be in good shape so we'll have to see what we find out tonight. I live in Canada just North of Toronto.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
just around the York area ?? ... i live in Quebec my self and those old pulsy are hard to find around here !!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yucky Head

Well folks, here's the latest, every valve is bent! Each piston has little indentations where the valves came into contact. The pattern looks pretty symmetrical so it almost looks like it should be that way but the little depressions on the outer piston circumference tell me yuck. Nothing actually broke off but is certainly marked. I need to get the other head and stick it on for the time being. I really liked the old 86 but just picked up a 87 which is entirely different as far as body style goes, however the engine looks the same. So I'm not sure what to do with the old girls, if I decide to just go with the 87 then I'll sell off whatever parts anyone needs for shipping and handling costs (maybe an extra 10 or 20 here and there). Just got my manual today, unfortunately it only goes to 86. Thanks for your help folks.

Marcel
<><

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
the 87 pulsar is a better car IMO I would put the 86 back together with the good head and sell it make a little change and then part out the other or take the money form the sell of the one and do a swap on the 87 (CA18) put the E16i into the other 86 and sell it might let you break even with a pretty nice pulsar to book.

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
Also remember to do your timing belts they are alot cheaper then a toasted head if you just bought the car replace it unless you have proof that it was changed less then 60,000 ago.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All I have to do is play with cars

mille-16i said:
Also remember to do your timing belts they are alot cheaper then a toasted head if you just bought the car replace it unless you have proof that it was changed less then 60,000 ago.

Wow... you really want me to spend all my time on my poor old rusted out 86. I must admit everything works on her but she's seen her fair share of road. Maybe it's time to recycle her into a swing set or something. The other day I was playing with head lights and while there were alot of cool cars around, most everyone was impressed with the winking blinking Pulsar, funny what catches peoples attention. I'll sleep on what to do, but I'm really inclined to build the 87 and have a retro 86 as a nostalgic piece "what to do" Again, thanks for the advice and goodnight. By the way what does "IMO" mean?

Marcel
<><

·
Registered
31 Posts
In my opinion.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good news

Got the head of the other engine and it looks pretty well new. Bonus for us, the only difference is the shape of the combustion chamber. The old head was concave with no shoulders and very smooth. The new head has a different combustion chamber, from the exhaust to the intake valve it looks very similar to the old but in the other direction (along the length of the head) there are very defined shoulders. I expect this will increase my compression ratio and hence give me a little more power and as we all know, every little bit helps (IMO) (now that I know what it means). As far as what to do with the first 86, we'll get it running then build the 87 and once the 87 is done think about whether we want to build the second 86 and sell off parts that are no value to us as far as the second 86 goes. Does that make sense? Maybe by the time we get the 87 finished the desire to build the 86 back up will be completely gone and there will be lots of spare parts for those who are interested. At any rate I am pretty well convinced that I'll sell off the parts just for the cost of shipping and handling to their new homes (out of respect for those who have the stamina to keep their old girls running)

Marcel
<><

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

We now have a running 86, got some help from Lazarus on the heady difference thread and decided to go ahead with the installation. The gaskets we got for the intake weren't substantive enough so we ended up with a leak. We took it off again and siliconed both front and back side of gasket and "voila" it's good. There really is no difference in performance, the engine is pretty well stock. New question for those who are interested. What is the strongest motor we can bolt to the 87 standard transmission? Are there newer engines with more ponys that match the transmission and fit the engine cavity. The engine at present looks identical to the 86 (couple more sensors) but that's about it. There were some folks looking for some parts, I know I have an extra piece for the side glass for the back drivers side. and there are lots of trim pieces, let me know what you need.

Marcel
<><

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1.6 Vs 1.8

Just to conserve money, isn't there anyone who's hotrodded their 1.6? Most of what I've seen is for engine swaps. I suppose if I'm going to spend the same amount of time and money for the swap, then it doesn't make sense to do up a 1.6 for inferior performance. Somehow it seems more appealing to crank out mega hp if we can keep the cost down and reuse what we've got. IMO

Marcel
<><

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
the higher hp engine that can bolt up to the transmission is the E15et... wich is a complicated swap (like every swap)... im probably still the only one who run one of those in my sentra...

·
Registered
751 Posts
Marcel said:
Just to conserve money, isn't there anyone who's hotrodded their 1.6? Most of what I've seen is for engine swaps. I suppose if I'm going to spend the same amount of time and money for the swap, then it doesn't make sense to do up a 1.6 for inferior performance. Somehow it seems more appealing to crank out mega hp if we can keep the cost down and reuse what we've got. IMO

Marcel
<><
You need to check out Blownb310s list. http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?t=7977

1 - 20 of 32 Posts